There's not too much I can say about today's 6-4 Cub loss to the A's, because I was out running a zillion errands trying to get ready to fly out to Arizona tomorrow... and once I get there, these recaps will become even more detailed.
Just a couple notes from what I can glean from the boxscore (and the two innings I did hear):
- Z looked fine. I thought he might have gone five today, but four innings is OK, especially since he didn't walk anyone.
- Bob Howry is rapidly taking himself out of the running for closer.
- Carlos Marmol struck out the side today, scoring some points in that race. However, it remains to be seen whether Kerry Wood, who also looked good today, can go on back-to-back days. We ought to see that happen by later this week.
- Sam Fuld may not be a very good player, but he's very good at Web Gems -- if anyone was shooting video of this game, his diving catch ought to make most everyone's highlight reel.
- Alfonso Soriano misplayed a ball (probably lost it in the sun), then threw out the runner at third. He also had two hits. Sounds like the broken finger isn't bothering him a bit.
Finally, after everything that's happened with the BCB shirts, I wanted to let you know that we're going to do what the original point of this project was -- to raise money for Derrek Lee's Project 3000. Thanks to all your shirt orders, BCB will be making a donation of $900 to Project 3000 -- and just by coincidence, there is a fundraising event on Thursday night in Scottsdale, which I will attend so I can present this check in person (and also make my personal donation of $280 for having pledged $10 for every 2007 Ryan Dempster save).
Thank you again for your generosity.