- He's not entirely ineffective. The fact that he was left off two playoff rosters is completely invalid criticism.
- As has been shown countless times (most recently by the '07 Phillies and '08 Brewers); there simply is no such thing as a starting pitching surplus. Remember how uncannily healthy our starters were last year? Don't count on it again.
- Lieber makes a lot of sense as a swing man. Could a few starts down the stretch (quasi 6-man rotation) alleviate some of Jason's inevitable downturn? We also have an entirely legit long reliever in in the bullpen, which is probably good for 1-2 wins over Gallagher/Petrick.
- Simply being named a starter will in no way increase Marquis' trade value. If a team were interested they'd watch him.
- In one season Lou has proven he's there to do what's best for the team, and what's best for a win--both long and short term. You can't place too much emphasis on spring training numbers for a veteran pitcher. No one will ever say there's a 20-win season hidden in his arm, and Lou knows that and still likes their chances with him in the rotation.
I realize this post is a couple days late but I don't see the cause for panic? He threw exactly how everyone could have expected last year (even put together some outstanding games when we needed them most) and I didn't see everyone reacting this violently then. Did everyone take his comment about wanting to be a starter that personally?