I've been so locked in on the Cubs that I kind of failed to realize that most of the other divisions are pretty much done with too.
Yankees have a 6-game lead. Phillies have a 7-game lead. Tigers and Angels have leads over 4 games. And of course, the Cardinals have the biggest division lead in baseball, with 9 games. Rockies have a 4-game lead in the NL Wild Card.
Only the Dodgers, with a 2-game lead, are even close to blowing it. (And they would still have a great shot at the Wild Card)
And the AL Wild Card is tight, with the Red Sox having a 1.5 game lead.
So, who are we all rooting for in the playoffs? (Anyone who still says the Cubs have a shot will be spat on)
In order, here is Worf's preference:
* Phillies -- A class team and I'm ready for another dynasty
* Dodgers -- It would be nice to see Joe Torre win it all again
* Angels -- After their season... yeah, it would be great
* Tigers -- Sure, why not?
* Yankees/Red Sox -- Really, the same team (Don't tell ESPN)
* Rockies -- I just am not ready for ANOTHER 90s expansion team to win it all when the Cubs haven't won in 101 years. Think about it. Of the four teams created since 1993, two of them have won the World Series (Florida twice) and the other two have won pennants in their leagues. Nice job out of you, Cubbies.
With the exception of Seattle; Montreal/Washington and Washington/Texas, every expansion team since 1945 has at least won a pennant.
* At this point, I am rooting for the Earth to crash into the Sun.
* Failing that, I'll root for Zombies to attack
* OK, I guess I'll root for the Cardinals now.
What say you?