So on 5/4/10, I was happy to be by my wife's side as she, and our doctor, ushered our baby girl into the world. In addition to my daughter being born, a new Cubs fan was born, and I hope they my nephew doesn't corrupt her and turn her into a Cards fan. That one I still don't get...Kid is surrounded by Cubs fans, and somehow he became a fan of the Cardinals before they even got this good. I'd rather my daughter do things like in The Hurt Locker. Well, that's a lie, I wouldn't want that, but you get the point.
As you can imagine, I haven't watched the Cubs much since her birth. I understand Castro had an amazing debut, I understand that more boneheaded moves keep being made, and I understand that Lou would rather be doing wordsearch or Sudoku puzzles than manage this team. Without watching much of anything this team has done has got me thinking a lot of random thoughts, which may or may not be good for discussion. Feel free to contribute, but these are a few things that have gone through my head as I entered fatherhood.
- My daughter instinctively knows how to frustrate me. Nothing like going to change her diaper and have her immediately cross her legs. Also, nothing like going to give her a Nuk and have her block her mouth with her hands.
- The first time I awoke after falling asleep with my daughter sleeping on my chest was a shock I don't want to have again. This is fine because the next time this happened I didn't even care.
- Once I figure out this Flux Capacitor, I'm hooking it and Mr. Fusion up to our Chevy HHR, and I'm going back in time to somehow force the Cubs to sign Joe Girardi instead of Lou.
- I'm then going to try and change Hendry's mind about signing Soriano to that contract. Not necessarily signing Soriano, but just letting it be known that the contract will end up being very bad.
- Anyone who says that baby poop doesn't smell in those first few days is a f'n liar.
- I have to wash the pacifier..again...for the 20th time this morning....
- This team needs a bunch of young, fresh players who are out there to play and earn a paycheck, not ones who are out there to justify how much they are paid. I mean, keep some just like Lee or Byrd, but the future of this team needs to be hustlers and players like Castro, Fuld, Colvin, Soto, HJL, Wells, etc.
- World Series titles...Who gives a crap.
- Two dogs and a baby is problematic. One is happier than all get out, and the other makes it look like you need to hide the razor blades.
- Sleeping: Overrated or underrated?
- So, apparently Castro had an awesome debut. That's about all I know.
- What happened to my car keys?
- Jim Riggleman, interim Cubs manager? (sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell)
- Do we still need to put a picture of Aramis on a milk carton, or has he come around?
- Year two?