Hey Everybody! This is my first post on Bleed Cubbie Blue. I run a blog called F**K Yeah Cubs and I did a little research on what the Cubs starting line up should be according to the stats.
- Fukudome RF
- Byrd CF
- Pena 1B
- Rameriz 3B
- Colvin LF
- Soto C
Here are the stats for the Cubs players vs right handed pitching over the last 3 seasons
1. Fukudome RF - 1134AB - 38-ab/hr - .262BA - .374OB - .420SLG = .794OPS - .804 in 10’
2. M.Byrd CF - 1058AB - 44-ab/hr - .289BA - .350OB - .441SLG = .791OPS - .717 in 10’
3. C. Pena 1B - 944AB - 13-ab/hr - .239BA - .372OB - .522SLG = .894OPS - .759 in 10’
4. Ramiriez 3B - 1035AB - 19-ab/hr - .238BA - .351OB - .500SLG = .857OPS - .722 in 10’
5. TColvin LF - 250AB - 18-ab/hr - .256BA - .321OB - .492SLG = .813OPS
6. G. Soto C - 840AB - 23-ab/hr - .249BA - .341OB - .445SLG = .786OPS - .795 in 10’
7. S.Castro SS - 336AB - 168ab/hr - .286BA - .329OB - .372SLG = .701OPS
8. Barney 2B -
Soriano LF - 1051AB - 20 ab/hr - .250BA - .308OB - .461SLG = .769OPS - .764OPS in 10’
DeWitt IF - 689AB - 57 ab/hr - .257BA - .330OB - .372SLG = .702OPS - .719OPS in 10’
J. Baker IF - 430AB - 61 ab/hr - .247BA - .308OB - .365SLG = .673OPS - .302 in 66 AB
R. Johnson OF - 382AB - 55 ab/hr - .246BA - .295OB - .351SLG = .646OPS - .520 in 10’
A couple of things jump right out.
- Fukudome is the lead off hitter vs. RH
- Colvin should be the LF starter vs RH
- Castro might not be suited to bat high in the order vs RH he has the same #'s as DeWitt
- Byrd is not a 3 hole hitter
- Rameriz and Pena should be 3/4 in some order
- nice lefty - righty - lefty - righty - lefty - righty lineup
There 's room for argument - Thats what makes baseball fun!
So lets look at lefties - The Cubs hitters the last 3 years vs Lefties
1. SCastro SS - 127AB - 127ab/HR - .334BA .393OB .504SLG = .897OPS -
2. J.Baker 2B - 301AB - 23 ab/HR - .316BA .361OB .545SLG = .906OPS -.945 in 10’
3. G. Soto C - 307AB - 20 ab/HR - .306BA .411OB .524SLG = .935OPS -1.072 in 10
4. Soriano LF - 375AB - 18 ab/HR - .285BA .361OB .544SLG = .905OPS -.944 in 10’
5. M. Byrd CF - 472AB - 26 ab/HR - .294BA .347OB .487SLG = .834OPS -.916 in 10’
6. TColvin RF - 108AB - 18 ab/HR - .250BA .302OB .519SLG = .821OPS -
7. Ramirez 3B- 290AB - 22 ab/HR - .262BA .338OB .472SLG = .810OPS -.815 in 10’
8. C. Pena 1B - 501AB - 18 ab/HR - .194BA .316OB .397SLG = .713OPS -.675 in 10’
Fukudome RF - 224AB - 56-ab/hr - .246BA .340OB .362SLG = .702OPS -.851 in 42ab in 10’
R. Johnson OF- 318AB - 64-ab/hr - .321BA .377OB .465SLG = .842OPS -.790 in 102ab in 10’
B De Witt IF - 168AB - 42-ab/hr - .268BA .354OB .405SLG = .759OPS -.660 in 79an in 10’
and just for fun Big Z vs both
C Zambrano P - 615AB - 29 ab/hr - .236BA - .244OB - .387SLG = .631OPS
- vs Lefties is where you want to give Castro a chance to really boost his confidence.
- You could hit Baker for Pena vs Lefties but we know that won't happen.
- Soto is a lefties worst nightmare.
- Zambrano has the 6th best HR% among Cubs players making him a valid pinch hitting candidate