The last time the Cubs won three games in a row:
- Bobby Scales, Xavier Nady and Micah Hoffpauir were still on the team.
- Casey Coleman won one of the three games.
- And gave up no runs while doing it.
- The Cubs gave up three runs -- combined -- in the three games. And scored eight -- in just one of the three games.
Those are all amazing and true facts from the Cubs' last three-game winning streak, which consisted of 1-0 and 2-0 wins in San Diego and an 8-3 win in Houston from Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2010. Now, the last time the Cubs won three straight home games:
- Thomas Diamond was the winning pitcher in one of the games
- James Russell was the winning pitcher in another one of the games
- The Cubs scored 17 runs in the three games, with only three home runs.
- And one of the home runs was hit by Blake DeWitt.
- Finally, they sandwiched losses of 14-7 and 18-5 around that streak.
Those are all amazing and true facts from the Cubs' last three-game winning streak at home, more than nine months ago, from Sept. 1-4 (Sept. 2 was an off day), 2010. Perhaps they will accomplish this tremendous feat tonight. Or not. But in any case, I wanted to remind you what a three-game winning streak is like.
Castro SS, Johnson CF, Baker 1B, Ramirez 3B, Soto C, Montañez RF, DeWitt LF, LeMahieu 2B, Zambrano p
Weeks 2b, Morgan cf, Braun lf, Fielder 1b, McGehee 3b, Hart rf, Betancourt ss, Lucroy c, Narveson p
|Today's Starting Pitchers|
|2011 - Carlos Zambrano||5-3||15||14||0||0||0||0||90.0||85||45||44||8||33||61||4.40||1.31|
|2011 - Chris Narveson||3-4||13||13||0||0||0||0||73.0||72||36||35||5||28||65||4.32||1.37|
Something's gotta give. Both Chris Narveson and Carlos Zambrano have won their last three decisions against tonight's opponent.
Big Z gave up four runs to the Brewers on April 8 in Milwaukee, but the Cubs won that game 7-4, the only game they won in that series. Of current Brewers, Prince Fielder just pounds him: .349 (15-for-43) with five doubles, three HR and 15 walks.
Chris Narveson has a 0.98 career ERA against the Cubs in three lifetime starts, one in each year from 2009 through 2011. Current Cubs, though, are hitting .263 (15-for-57) off him, and Geovany Soto, who homered last night, is 4-for-10 with a double and three walks.
So maybe we're not totally doomed after all.
Today's game is on CSN Chicago and FSN Wisconsin. Here is the complete MLB.com Mediacenter for today.
Today's first pitch thread will be up at 7 pm CDT and the overflow threads will post at 8 pm, 9 pm and 9:45 pm CDT. If you need more overflows due to extra innings or rain delays, post them in the fanshot section.
Discuss amongst yourselves.