In the past, I've posted recaps to Cubs games that have drop-down menus so that you can choose your own "Mad Libs" version of the recap.
It has gotten to the point now, with the Cubs' seventh straight loss last night, 8-2 to the Reds, that I'm really running out of ways to write recaps. Every game seems about the same; the Cubs either take an early lead or stay competitive, then a Cubs player
a) makes a baserunning mistake
b) commits a fielding error that allows multiple runs to score, or
c) allows a three-run homer
... and that just about does it for the day.
There aren't really enough fun facts from last night's defeat to do one of those drop-down recaps. So instead of me writing a recap for this game, I'm going to let you do it. After the jump, I'll post some facts about the game; you write your recap in the comments.
- no profanity
- try to wrap it all around a theme of some kind
- try to put some positive spin on it
- Add a photo caption (that's Brad Snyder on the left, if you didn't recognize him, and few do)
- did I mention: NO PROFANITY
Have fun with this. It's about all the fun we have left.
Game facts for your recap:
- Matt Garza yanked after four innings, 81 pitches; allowed only his second HR of the year
- Jeff Samardzija gave up a three-run homer to Jonny Gomes that turned a 4-2 game into a 7-2 game
- Carlos Pena got caught too far off first base and was tagged out to end the third inning; Pena did drive in one of the two runs
- Kosuke Fukudome had three hits
- Blake DeWitt had three hits, but also botched at least one outfield play. DeWitt and Fukudome were the only Cubs with extra-base hits
- Aramis Ramirez made an error, leading to an unearned run
- Tyler Colvin is 0-for-19 since his recall and 0-for-his-last-31 overall; he hasn't had a hit since April 28 and has just two walks in that time
- Drew Stubbs' HR off Garza was his seventh off Cubs pitching, the most he has hit against any team
- John Grabow threw an inning of scoreless relief
There are your game facts. Stay within the lines and play nice. I'll be looking forward to reading your game recaps.