Well I know this thing has been beat to death already, but...
They could have shrugged their shoulders and said "go ahead, retire." or they coulda said "see you Wednesday, you're on the hill" after another embarrassing clubhouse apology.
But by drawing a line in the sand now and putting him on the disqualified list, they've done 5 counter-productive things:
1. They've assured he'll bring no return this winter
2. they've created a media circus around a lousy ballclub and probably ensured that a few more fans stay away in September.
3. they've forced a showdown with the MLBPA, which is stupid,
4. they've decreased their chances of landing any half-decent FA's this winter. And,
5. they're also using Casey Coleman beyond his "sell by" date .
Go ahead, rip me. It's true. They should have let it blow over.