The Marlins moved relative mountains (of prospects and cash) to get Ozzie Guillen to Miami last year. And now they're moving him out.
- The Marlins canned Ozzie Guillen yesterday, just one year into a four-year, $10 million deal, and just one year after trading two prospects to acquire him from the White Sox. While Ozzie wouldn't be my choice for manager either, I can't help but feel like this is a case of, "what the heck were you expecting, Marlins front office/ownership?" The team was terrible because it was terrible constructed and then immediately dismantled. Ozzie was brash and distracting because Ozzie is brash and distracting. How else did you think this was going to end? Just another example of frustratingly bad decision-making from a frustratingly inept front office ( ... which has somehow won titles).
- Speaking of deposed managers, Bobby Valentine, whom the Red Sox recently dismissed, says David Ortiz quit on the team once he realized they weren't going to be competitive down the stretch. Ortiz had returned from an achilles injury just before the Red Sox dealt Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett to the Dodgers, and soon after headed back to the disabled list for good. "He realized that this trade meant that we're not going to run this race and we're not even going to finish the race properly and he decided not to play anymore," Valentine said in an interview airing Tuesday night on "Costas Tonight" on NBC Sports Network. "I think at that time it was all downhill from there." I guess you can take the manager out of the dugout, but you can't take the need to rip your own players out of the manager.
- Melky Cabrera, having been suspended for 50 games after testing positive for a PED mid-season, is now eligible to return to the Giants' roster, but they've said they won't be bringing him back for the World Series. That's probably the right decision for a variety of reasons, though it would have been hard to blame them for wondering whether they might be better with his bat on the bench.
- Baseball Prospectus offers a brilliant guest piece from Jorge Arangure on the old saw: "You don't walk off the island." He digs into what exactly that means for Dominican youths, and what is being done about the problem of plate discipline. A particularly telling segment: "[O]ut of the top 10 leaders in walks last year in each of the 10 full-season minor leagues, only four of the possible 100 players were Dominican. Since 2009, only one undrafted, non-U.S.-educated, Dominican-born player ranked in the top 30 in baseball in walk rate: Cleveland's Carlos Santana."
- MLB Trade Rumors reports that the Super Two cut-off for next season is expected to be two years and 139 days (shorter than last year's two years and 144 days thanks to a CBA change that makes 22% of two years+ players eligible, rather than 17%, as was the previous rule). Notable players qualifying for Super Two status, which brings with it an extra year of arbitration: Nationals reliever Drew Storen, Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera, Mets catcher Josh Thole, Rays outfielder Sam Fuld, Rockies outfielder Tyler Colvin and Diamondbacks third baseman Chris Johnson.
- You've already seen this - you must have already seen this - but you need to see it again. (Ok, this is actually here for the very few of you who haven't seen this insanity.) Hunter Pence's magic double that opened the floodgates in Game Seven of the NLCS: