Does Luis Valbuena have squatter's rights on the Cubs' 3B job? - Charles LeClaire-US PRESSWIRE
Like the rest of us, the beat writers stuffed their faces over the holiday. So we're all a bit slow. But, in a play off of Brett's intro yesterday... it's time to "snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity." (One FREE subscription to Cub Tracks for the first BCBer to identify that song!!!)
If you missed the first Cub Tracks and need to know what is going on, click here.
One quick protocol note: The Tuesday version of Cub tracks will generally cover links posted on Thursdays through Monday mornings. Monday afternoon through Wednesday content will appear in the Thursday edition. If something 'big' happens on a Monday, someone will start a fanshot anyway.
But let's get on with the links.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Bryan LaHair moved on to Japan.
- Need a schedule and a primer for the rest of the off-season? Tony Andracki has a Cliff's notes version to help you get started.
From the Chicago Tribune
- The Bears played football on Sunday. The Trib knows about that. It looks like the baseball guys have mostly been on vacation. And I may end up linking fewer Trib articles, since I've exceeded my 5 article limit for this month without their super duper subscription membership.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Also not doing much of anything.
- Is anybody working?
From Cubs Den
- Al's front page article linked to Phil Rogers writing about the Cubs reportedly inquiring on Giancarlo Stanton. The Cubs Den wrote about it, too, citing national writer Nick Cafardo. Not much to add, at this point.
- How will the Cubs fill holes at 3B and CF this offseason? They'll have to get creative. Cubs Den argues the best (short-term) 3B option is already in house. Al will be thrilled. In CF, the team will probably have to look at outside options.
- A nice write-up about wishing Bryan LaHair well in Japan.
From the Daily Herald
Today's food for thought
- As we embark on the 'holiday season', discussions of good will and giving will be everywhere. But my wife and I were captivated by this feature about children helping children on 60 Minutes.
- And... a bonus link with the beat writers taking most of the last week off. This is also from 60 Minutes (the previous week). Some researchers now say that babies may hold the key to unlocking the secrets of our innate morality.
With Thanksgiving over, silly season will be upon us soon. Look for the beat writers to start cranking up the rumor mill.