Angel in the outfield? - Jonathan Daniel
As a Cubs fan, you've got to have faith in Theo Epstein right now (there aren't many other choices, unless you want to play Scrooge). So while many celebrated an important birthday on Tuesday... let's look ahead to the weekend and wish Theo a very happy 39th birthday (Saturday).
I imagine he's hoping to get another starting pitcher and a couple of heavy hitters for his special day. But alas when you're an adult, you most often get things from the bargain section you need (rotation and roster depth) for your birthday instead of what you want. And, of course, you get (ex-) Sox.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Patrick Mooney stopped by CTL to talk about the additions of Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva.
- Other people on the same show give Jackson's four-year contract the three bears treatment: too short, too long, or just right?
From Cubs Den
- The position analysis moves around the infield. Next stop, second base... to see if Darwin Barney is a building block or a road block.
- The Boston Red Sox acquisition of closer Joel Hanrahan might temper our enthusiasm for dealing Carlos Marmol. The bottom line: Getting upside back in a deal for Marmol might be tough.
- Anthony Rizzo spent part of his holiday time becoming an inspiration to a Florida teacher.
- Cub fans will happily turn the page on a hard-to-watch 2012 season. But Carrie Muskat found five things worth remembering.
Today's food for thought
- It is celebration season... and if you're a beer fan, you might want to pick up one of these six winter specials.