Theo says he always appreciate this media flash mobs where reporters all ask the same question, in search of the holy grail --- the scoop. - Rob Grabowski-US PRESSWIRE
To quote noted sharpshooter Elmer Fudd: " It's wabbit season, and I'm hunting wabbits, so be vewy, vewy quiet! " Of course, Elmer doesn't catch much when he's chasing Bugs Bunny, but he still chases every lead, sound and... ahem... (Cub) Tracks. The Cubs' beat journalists serve as the entertaining Mr. Fudd... chasing rumor rabbits. The silly (hunting) season is officially underway.
If we follow these mighty hunters... we might learn what makes them tick. We also learn what kind of game they may chase next.
Quick protocol note -- there will be roughly a billion and a half rumors about who the Cubs will or won't acquire this week. I'm not going to do a bunch of linking of those kinds of articles because: a) most of them are baseless rumors and speculation, 2) they'll be old info by the time Cub Tracks gets published, and iii) see 'a'.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Some of the notes are a little dated (Fujikawa), but Patrick Mooney has a primer on some of the Cubs' plans for the winter meetings.
- And there's plenty of work to do. The Cubs have a long way to go to catch the Cardinals. But....
- They have no fear... and will stick to the plan. This includes a little audio clip from Jed.
- A refreshingly honest assessment of the team needs -- including who might be traded -- by Carrie Muskat. I wouldn't say there's a ton of new info, but her articles are usually a bit more about the silver lining.
- Blogging... there are options at third base (kind of) and rounding up winter league notes.
From Cubs Den
- A video clip of the Cubs' latest Japanese import.
- Tim Huwe has mentioned this in a couple posts, but the Cubs could be looking to move Alfonso Soriano to the City of Brotherly Love.
- The scrap heap. The dumpster. Retreads. Rejects. Baseball's island of misfit toys. However you describe the list of players who have been non-tendered, there still might be some hidden gems who could be useful to the Cubs.
- Infringing again on Tim Huwe's turf... three college pitchers look to be the pick of the '13 draft. But there are some other possibilities for the second pick... and it is never to late to start looking to the second round.
- Cub nuggets: a new director of baseball ops and Javier Baez is the top prospect in Arizona.
- Fans and evaluators seemed split on whether the Cubs should have pursued BJ Upton. John Arguello says he's a big fan of Upton -- but the outfielder still wasn't a good fit for the Cubs.
- The Cubs should be busy during the meetings.
From the Daily Herald
Today's food for thought