Fans Michael Kutilek, 12, Griffin Conley, 11, and Brody Smith, 13, of Oakmont, Pennsylvania, participate in a fantasy sports broadcast during the opening day of Fan Fest for the Major League Baseball All-Star game at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images)
Pitchers and catchers report for the Cubs in just 12 days. The Cubs' first spring training game is on March 4, just 27 days away.
As teams begin to prepare for the season, so too do players of fantasy baseball. I've been playing in fantasy leagues since the mid 1980s. Truth be told, I haven't had as much time in recent years as I would have liked to pay attention to my fantasy teams. Those of you who have been in leagues with me know this, as my teams have pretty much sunk to last place and stayed there.
For those of you who do play, there's a choice of online providers. This is far different from when I started doing this and at first, we did all the stats by hand -- that meant once a week, at most, because otherwise it was way too much work. Later there were software packages, but those also had limitations.
SB Nation's partner Yahoo is one of the better providers of an interface to play fantasy baseball. After the jump, their pitch for having you sign up for a league on their site.
- Yahoo! Sports is the leading fantasy provider and home to the #1 Fantasy Baseball game available – all for free! It brings fans closer to the game and players they love with free live scoring, mock drafts, mobile apps, over 80 scoring categories, live and offline draft apps, and tools to manage your keeper league.
- Yahoo! Sports now offers the fantasy fanatic an even more competitive way to play, Pro Leagues are here! Join a Pro League for $20 or $100 and compete to win cash prizes. For those who dare to put some skin in the game.
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball '12 is easy and fun to play for the rookie or veteran fantasy user.
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball provides fans with top-notch information, resources, and expert advice.
- Yahoo! Sports provides pre-draft advice clips to help you draft the best team possible. Fantasy advice is also available throughout the season with bi-weekly video clips and weekly radio coverage on the Fantasy Freaks (every Friday 8pm-10pm ET).
- Fantasy baseball is the original social network, it is the way friends stayed connected over America’s pastime no matter where they were, Yahoo! Sports continues the tradition by letting fans talk smack talk, check'in, and chat on newly launched message boards.
Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball supports SBNation for its commitment to furthering America’s hardball obsession. As the #1 Fantasy Baseball game, players can count on Yahoo! to provide all the research, stats, live scoring, video highlights, and mobile apps to make this season the best yet. Game opens 2/9/12 – Sign up!!!