Hi Boys and Girls! It's time once again for another game of "Relief Pitcher Roulette," the game in which you predict if Cubs brain-trust Theo & Jed, or "Thed" as I like to call them, decide to pick another young-ish pitcher with some possible upside from the Designated for Assignment scrapheap.
Today's contestant is......... Evan Meek!!!! (of course, you knew that because your read the title! You are so smart!).
So what do we know about Evan Meek?
The good! :)
- He can throw hard!!! 94 MPH!!! We like pitchers who can throw hard!!!
- He gets ground balls at a rate of 52.1%!!!
- He was an All-Star in 2010 with a 2.14 ERA in 80 IP and a 70/31 K/W ratio.
- Has only one career error, making him an infinitely better fielder than Matt Garza.
- Has a hit in his one career at bat, making him an infinitely better hitter than Matt Garza.
The bad :(
- It's not 2010 anymore. He was mediocre in the bigs last year and pretty bad this year.
- Control issues - 26 walks in 46 innings in AAA this season
- Was not a first round draft choice - taken in the 11th round.
- Is 29, which is nearly 30, which is nearly over the hill.
- Is arbitration eligible in 2013.
- Was DFA'd by the Pirates in favor of younger retread Rick Vandenhurk.
- Was never a member of the Red Sox organization.
The indifferent. :|
- Was once traded for Russell Branyan.
- Statistically compares to Matt Lindstrom.
- Has a career WAR of 0.1. I.E., he is just the slightest bit above average.
- Hasn't updated his twitter account since last November.
So that's what we know about Evan Meek, now it's time for you to make your call! Will Thed claim Evan Meek? And if he does, who gets kicked to the curb off of the 40 man roster?
What's our prediction? We though you'd never ask!
We say "YES." Thed won't resist the opportunity to bring another power arm into the fold. And bouncing off the 40-man will be Jacob Brigham, who was apparently so shell-shocked by his trade from Texas that he forgot how to pitch at AA.