My vacation is over, so it is back to work at all my jobs and responsibilities, including Cub Tracks. Thanks to Al and Josh for filling in.
From Comcast SportsNet
- The team is closing in on the end of the managerial search.
From Cubs Den
- Some predictions on free agency and some out of the box options for closer.
- Notes part 1: Starlin Castro, David Price, Welington Castillo, and some sleeper prospects.
- Notes part 2: Trade talks around Jeff Samardzija heat up, the Boston Red Sox play hardball, and could Hank White return?
- I'll ask real, real nicely. NO POLITICS (per BCB guidelines) -- this one shouldn't be political. The Chicago Blackhawks visited the White House and President Barack Obama Monday. The President put a little pressure on the North Side baseball team, saying he wanted the Cubs to win the World Series before he leaves office. And remember, he's a White Sox fan. I will hope that regardless of political affiliation, this is a plan we can all get behind.
- This should surprise no one, but the team has declined to tender qualifying offers to free agents Dioner Navarro, Scott Baker, Kevin Gregg, and Matt Guerrier.
- An edition of the mailbox looks at a bunch of Cub questions, including whether Kris Bryant can stick at third base.
- Again: no political discussion, please. But the President urged the Cubs to follow in the Blackhawks' footsteps (this article has a little different take than the one from cubs.com).
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Gordo thinks Rick Renteria will end up with the manager's job.
Today's food for thought