It's really quiet this weekend as most teams are gearing up for the opening of camps this week. That's why I came up with that little piece of doggerel in the last article.
- The Felix Hernandez deal with the Mariners is on hold as the team has concerns about King Felix's elbow.
- Tim Lincecum has a new attitude to go along with his new haircut. Buzzfeed notices a resemblance to a well-known news personality.
- Buzzfeed also mentions the passing of the first woman scout in baseball and looks back at her extraordinary career.
- The Yankees are doomed! They're doomed I tell you! Craig Calcaterra examines Chicken Little's pre-season predictions.
- One of my favorite former Cubs farmhands, Robinson Chirinos, is hoping to bounce back from last season's concussion.
- Cleveland makes two minor-league deals with big-league names: Jason Giambi and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
- Mike Piazza's new autobiography denies that he took steroids or was ever gay. It does admit that he learned karate so he could beat up Roger Clemens, but he chickened out.
- The Washington Post introduces the new Nationals center fielder, Denard Span.
- Five questions for the Philles this season.
- And five more questions for the Twins. Do I notice a sportswriting crutch coming on during a slow spot?
- Marlins GM Larry Beinfest says his team could surprise a lot of people this season. What do you expect him to say? "We're going to suck?" But he does mention that the 2006 Marlins team was a lot better than people expected too.
- The Upton brothers have always tried to one-up the other one. Now that they're teammates, they'll put that competitive drive towards working together.
- The Phillies off-season didn't work out as planned, but they're still happy.
- Francisco Liriano is guaranteed $1 million from the Pirates, but incentives could earn him $14 million over two seasons.
- The Cardinals avoided arbitration with David Freese.
- Keith Law tells KESN-FM that Jurickson Profar could be one of the five or six best players in baseball one day.
- David Prouty is the new general counsel for the players union under difficult circumstances. Also, John Lackey isn't happy with the Red Sox medical staff.
The Hawkeye Men's Basketball team stomped on Northwestern.
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster. Because there will be more baseball.