One thing is pretty clear to me, one week before the season starts: Shark has become the voice of the franchise.
From Comcast SportsNet
- (Video only) Dale Sveum says the Cub defense has been outstanding.
- (Video only) Jeff Samardzija says he couldn't feel better.
- Shark also can't wait for opening day. Speaking of, what odds would you have taken on opening day 2012 that Shark would start opening day this year?
- Alfonso Soriano agrees with (just about) everyone. He thinks the Cubs need more night games.
- The Cub roster has taken shape, but they are still looking for outside options.
- (Video, too) Dale Sveum isn't worried about Carlos Marmol. He might be about the only one.
From Cubs Den
- As a follow-up to their top 25 prospect list, Cubs Den has revealed another 25 sleeper prospects. These were split into supplement one and supplement two.
- Mark Appel would be an appealing choice for the Cubs with the second overall choice. But will he be available thanks to or in spite of Scott Boras?
- Is the "lose to win" rebuilding strategy a good idea?
- The Cubs are pursuing a top Venezuelan shortstop.
- Some notes: The Cubs picked up a pitcher and it turns out they are very profitable. That note will probably be a big hit with some of the Ricketts' opponents.
- Dale Sveum is among the Cubs switching uniform numbers this season.
- Alfonso Soriano knows the Cubs need a fast start.
- The manager will be happy to write Starlin Castro's name into the line-up 162 times. I don't think that's the best idea. IMO, all players need a couple days off (or at least out of the starting line-up).
- If you want multiple playoff contenders, the Cubs' division is full of them.
- The Cubs will showcase loyal fans in their new ad campaign. You can see some of those ads on the video page.
- In one of the more "no duh" headlines in a while, the Cubs are hoping for good things from Luis Valbuena.
- Welington Castillo is keeping pitchers calm and confident by being upbeat.
- (Video only) Shark talks about his camp impressions.
- (No registration needed) This caught my attention. Shark thinks the team is in a better spot without "me players."
- Steve Clevenger has won the last bench spot, at least for now.
- The team's day vs. night issue won't go away.
- (Also registration free) Dioner Navarro's solid spring is building value.
- (Video) Sveum talks about Castro and roster moves.
- The Cubs are the most profitable team in baseball according to Forbes.
- Not super directly Cubs related, but it made me celebrate. Tim McCarver is retiring after this season. Not a game too soon.
From the Chicago Sun-Times (can read a paragraph, register to read the rest)
- Has Alfonso Soriano become indispensable?
- Kyle Lohse's deal with the Brewers highlights the good fortune experienced by Edwin Jackson.
- David DeJesus will be a part of trade rumors all season. Fortunately for him, he's welcome anywhere.
From the Daily Herald (registry required for all)
Today's food for thought
- A teenager has developed an array to clean up over 7 million tons of plastic from the ocean.