Just a quick comment on the big league club. I'm expecting absolutely nothing from a W/L perspective this season. But even with more errors, both mental and physical, I'm also seeing little positive signs. It seems like a simple thing, but there's been no questioning the effort and that's at least one step in the right direction.
From Comcast SportsNet
- (autostart video) Teammates are worried about Steve Clevenger after seeing him writhing in pain after yesterday's game ending strikeout.
- Despite the home runs, Anthony Rizzo is searching for consistency.
- (autostart video) Cub prospect Jorge Soler already had a target on his back. That target is getting bigger.
From Cubs Den
- The frustration with Starlin Castro might be missing the point.
- Draft update, including a scouting report and video of big Oklahoma pitcher Jonathan Gray. I also thought the note on Austin Meadows was interesting. There was also a note that Nate Schierholtz got his World Series ring from Giants' manager Bruce Bochy on Saturday.
- Anthony Rizzo is seeing some success swinging at first pitches.
- Darwin Barney was presented with his gold glove award on Friday.
- Dale Sveum wants Starlin Castro to be more, ahem, aware on defense.
- Alfonso Soriano is starting to hit.
- But, as a team, the Cubs can't hit lefties.
- Dale Sveum is going with a closer by committee while Kyuji Fujikawa is on the disabled list.
- Carlos Villanueva is happy with his two starts, even though he has nothing to show for it in the win column. And if you haven't seen, he's also growing just an outstanding mustache.
- (audio) Infield coach David Bell dropped by the podcast to talk infield defense. I'd say he's got more work to do.
- Brent Lillibridge is familiar with how intense former teammate Carlos Quentin can be.
- Starlin Castro is still going through growing pains.
- (Video only) Darwin Barney says he will be ready to rejoin the team in a matter of days (likely Tuesday).
- Dallas Green knows what kind of challenges the Cubs are facing (but see this post from Saturday for exploding of myths put forth in that link).
- (Video only) Kyuji Fujikawa's goal: be completely healthy.
From the Chicago Sun-Times (can read a paragraph, register to read the rest)
- Dale Sveum thinks Zack Greinke's injury is unfortunate.
- The path to the big leagues is now a little more complicated for Jorge Soler.
Today's food for thought
- The Detroit Lions have signed a kicker based off of YouTube videos.