Today's links in a song lyric: It's all about the money, money, money.
Lots to discuss today, so let's get chatty.
From Comcast SportsNet
- David Kaplan's sources say the Cubs will be spenders this coming winter. But who to spend it on?
- Anthony Rizzo's extension has the club looking to the future. I thought that's what the whole season was about.
- The team will build around Rizzo.
- Even though a sell-off seems iminent, Alfonso Soriano still believes in this team.
- Castro and Rizzo have been extended. But GM Jed Hoyer is still looking for a building block on the mound like the Washington Nationals have with Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg.
- Hoyer also laid out a Washington-esque blueprint.
- Matt Garza is about to make the club make a tough choice.
- The Cubs don't want the big contract to weigh on Edwin Jackson.
From Cubs Den
- Rizzo? Check. Castro? Check. Are Jeff Samardzija and Matt Garza next in line for extensions?
- Some college pitchers who might be 2nd round possibilities.
- Tim linked to this earlier, but feel free to discuss it again. The Cubs are viewed as favorites to sign two of the top international talents later this summer.
- Taking a series from the Nationals showed Dale Sveum something about his club.
- Rizzo describes his new contract as surreal.
- Signing Rizzo is a quick decision on his worth from Cub management.
From the Chicago Sun-Times (can read a paragraph, register to read the rest)
- The Cubs' dreams are alive again after trumping a pair of aces.
- On the other hand, don't expect the Cubs to duplicate the Nats' ascension.
- But the Cubs will try and build piece-by-piece, just like the Nats, anyway.
From the Daily Herald (registry required for all)
- What would Len Kasper do if he were commissioner? So who is going to start manufacturing the WWLKDIHWC bracelets?
Today's food for thought
- An astronaut channels his inner David Bowie.