In this edition of Cub Tracks, we have trades, prospects, improvements, and why Len Kasper says the front office needs more credit.
From Comcast SportsNet
- The torrid start for Dodgers' phenom Yasiel Puig has some Cub fans calling for top prospect Javier Baez to get the call to Wrigley this year. That would be silly.
- Jed Hoyer says these "deadline" deals are a necessary evil that nobody in the front office is relishing.
- The team has traded away several recently signed free agents. But Hoyer is still confident free agents will sign with the Cubs in future offseasons.
From Cubs Den
- The Cubs appear to be the favorites for another highly sought after IFA signing. So much for the budget.
- The Anarchist's Brunch draws some comparisons between the Pirates and the Cubs. Of note: the Pirates' strong pitching has mostly come from other organizations.
- The Cubs have had a good run in inter-league play. Dale Sveum thinks he knows why.
- Darwin Barney won't be throwing away his glove, or cutting off a finger, after ending his most recent errorless streak.
- All of a sudden, is the Cubs' bullpen a team strength? Small sample size alert (and all just until Kevin Gregg is traded), but for now the answer might just be "yes".
- Starlin Castro is going the wrong direction.
- The road is winding for Javier Baez.
- Much to Al's chagrin, the first Friday mid-afternoon game did well at the gate.
- A deal with top draft pick Kris Bryant is in a holding pattern. Relax everyone, he's going to sign.
- Darwin Barney's errorless streak just got away from him.
- There's still plenty of confidence top pick Kris Bryant will sign before this week's deadline.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Jed Hoyer confirmed what should have been, but apparently wasn't, obvious to everyone: the promotion of Javier Baez to Double-A Tennessee had absolutely nothing to do with Starlin Castro.
- You know Travis Wood made the All-Star team (something that apparently offends Keith Law: Insider article, says Wood isn't even the Cubs' most deserving starter). But did you know that made Chris Bosio proud?
- The team is excited about the deal that sent Scott Hairston to the Nationals for young pitcher Ivan Pineyro.
From the Daily Herald
- Really, really good read from Len Kasper, who wants you to give the Cubs' front office credit. More of a challenge for some of you than others, I imagine.
- Carlos Villanueva has played the role of good soldier. Not just this year for the Cubs, but for seven years.
- There's still plenty to watch as both Chicago teams play out the season.
Today's food for thought
- Here are humankind's 25 best engineering achievements.