I debated on the title. Should that say "Wely"?
From Comcast SportsNet
- The Cubs believe they have their frontline catcher in Welington Castillo.
- Darwin Barney says the Cubs got pumped up, and a little insulted, when they missed Cardinals' ace Adam Wainwright.
- A familiar refrain from Dale Sveum: Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo need to pick it up.
- Cub fans welcomed back Derrek Lee when the former Cubs' slugger participated in Kerry Wood's charity wiffle ball game this past weekend.
- And the event was a big hit.
- The Cubs are going to have earn respect from the Cardinals.
- Alfonso Soriano is still helping the Cubs. In this case, he's helping rookie Junior Lake stay ahead of the curve.
- Pedro Strop could very well be the team's closer next season.
From Cubs Den
- Don't expect the Cubs to be heavily involved in the bidding for Cuban defector Jorge Abreu.
- As Al mentioned in his recap of Sunday's Cougars' game, he met John Arguello from Cubs' Den. John posted a photo gallery from the game.
- The team's offensive philosophy might just be a waiting game.
- Welington Castillo is really turning heads.
- Meanwhile, his catching mate Dioner Navarro is grateful to be back on the field after a scary collision delivered by Chase Utley.
- It's been a rough year with the bat for Darwin Barney. But in late game situations, he has the confidence of his manager.
- Many questioned the promotion of Darnell McDonald. But the veteran journeyman brings some depth and leadership to the mix.
- The players are miffed other teams are disrepecting them by shuffling their starting rotations.
- I haven't seen a web link on this, but ESPN the Magazine had a cool little article about how the Cardinals are an aggressive hitting team and how other teams may be preaching over patience. Skim through a copy the next time you're in a doctor's office.
- It's too late to "save the season", but the Cubs are finally getting some timely hits.
- The team is finally coming along defensively.
- Darnell McDonald is happy to be back in the bigs.
- The lack of catching depth in the Cubs' system isn't pressing. At least not as long as Welington Castillo keeps stepping up.
- Cardinals' hit man Allen Craig and Cubs' manager Dale Sveum have a similar philosophy on hitting in the clutch.
- "OK" isn't going to cut it for pitcher Edwin Jackson.
- Darnell McDonald thinks Junior Lake has an awfully bright future.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- The Cubs took note that the Cardinals shuffled their rotation to pit ace Adam Wainwright against the Pirates.
- Jeff Samardzija is struggling, but he's not blaming outside influences.
- The team is feeling much, much better about the state of its pitching this year compared to last year.
- In particular, next year's bullpen may be shaping up nicely.
From the Daily Herald
- The Kane County Cougars' W/L record has not been good. But this season is about so much more for the Cubs' newest affiliate.
- The rival Cardinals offer a view of the Cubs' hopes for the future.
Today's food for thought
- NASA's latest find is a planet that looks like a giant piece of bubble gum. And when I say giant, I mean, four times the size of Jupiter