It appears the writers are mostly just playing out the string, too.
From Comcast SportsNet
- It was a stellar return to the big leagues for Scott Baker.
- Does the minor improvement in the Cubs' record (compared to last year) mean, well, anything?
- Ryan Sweeney is making the most of his chance with the Cubs.
- The spoiler role isn't a good fit for the Cubs.
From Cubs Den
- The author of Anarchist's Brunch thinks he's a fan of Dale Sveum because of Chris Bosio.
- The team has decisions to make in the outfield this offseason.
- Darwin Barney's had an awful season with the bat. But his manager thinks he should win another Gold Glove.
- The best way to construct the Cubs' lineup is open for debate. Realistically, there are no good answers right now.
- Motivating a team that is just playing out the string in September can be tough.
- Dioner Navarro has had a fine season. He likes it in Chicago, but he might have priced himself out of town.
- (Video) Scott Baker talks about his return to the majors.
- (Video) Scott Baker says beggars can't be choosers.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Attendance at Wrigley is a problem.
- Dale Sveum is realistic about whether the Cubs can slow down the Reds' rapid rookie, Billy Hamilton.
- The Cubs' class A prospects are names you should know.
From the Daily Herald
- Matt Spiegel laments what might be a pretty boring September.
- Starting pitching is still a bright spot in another rough season.
- Len Kasper has a cheat sheet for baseball's most important stats.
Today's food for thought