A programming note: this was drafted before Saturday's game. So any angst or exultation resulting from that game will appear in Tuesday's edition of Cub Tracks.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Gerrit Cole looks like a top of the rotation keeper for the Pirates. The Cubs will be looking for their own Cole this summer.
- Whammy! Anchorman character Champ Kind threw out a first pitch at Wrigley.
- The Cubs see Starlin Castro playing with a new edge.
- Ryan Dempster was a bleacher bum for a day.
- The Cardinals and Yankees will be a tough test for the Cubs.
- Jeff Samardzija loves the Cubs' rivalry with the Cardinals.
- David Kaplan pointed out a pretty remarkable stat about Starlin Castro.
From Cubs Den
- The Cubs' bullpen is still a work in progress. And if the current roster doesn't work out, there could be more reinforcements on the way.
- Here are some thoughts on progress, starring Anthony Rizzo, Mike Olt, and Junior Lake.
- Here are some updates on the Cubs' under-25 crowd.
- Hector Rondon is riding a hot streak. And let's remember he was a Rule 5 draft pick.
- Cub Charities are helping to improve local fields.
- Emilio Bonifacio has stabilized the lead-off spot.
- And Bonifacio's hot start has affected Darwin Barney's playing time.
- A couple of homers were the payoff to Starlin Castro's hard work.
- Jesse Rogers explains why you should be happy with a loss.
- (Audio) Jason Hammel joined the podcast to talk about his 2-0 start.
- Teammates are marveling at Emilio Bonifacio's epic start.
- A big night for Anthony Rizzo helped make up for a bad memory.
- The Cubs' foes appreciate that the north siders are a work in progress.
- Most of you know prospect Dan Vogelbach has been trying to lose weight. Well, pitching prospect Paul Blackburn has gone the other direction, gaining 50 pounds. But that's a good thing.
- Anthony Rizzo is getting the last laugh at lefties.
- Making the roster was hard enough, but the Cubs are counting on Mike Olt in a pinch. It wasn't really working out until Friday.
- Jeff Samardzija is maturing and that has him skipping to success.
- Former Cub Carlos Zambrano has sold his west Lakeview home.
- Emilio Bonifacio has advised Javier Baez to bide his time in the minors.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Darwin Barney is still trying to figure out his role with the Cubs.
- From our SB Nation partners at Lookout Landing (that's the Mariners' site), here's a beautifully simple evening at Wrigley Field.
Today's food for thought