Hi, I'm a Cubs fan and by nature I like to read way too far into things. So naturally, when I heard Arismendy Alcantara was starting in CF tonight, I had a few things run through my mind that I thought I should share on here.
1. I think the management likes Alcantara as a part of the future. More specifically, I think they see him in an Emilio Bonifacio role, playing wherever the team needs him while batting leadoff.
2. I think Emilio gets traded and Alcantara comes up and plays his "position" in July.
3. I think the front office is worried about Jorge Soler's injury history (not really a stretch here).
4. I think this means for sure that Baez (or Castro) will be playing 2nd, not 3rd when this team comes together.
5. If Olt can figure it out and hit for some average (I mean like .230-.240) then obviously Bryant goes to the OF, joining Almora and Alcantara (and maybe Soler if he can stay healthy for any stretch of time) on our completely unrealistic dream starting lineup.
This all being said, we will soon find out that Alcantara was just an experiment and he's still Iowa's everyday 2nd baseman, with a future of utility man/potential MLB 2nd baseman.
GO CUBS GO!