Today was another day of seeing how writers interpret the same interview differently.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Patrick Mooney says there's a game of chicken happening between the Cubs and Jeff Samardzija.
- Whether Shark is an "ace" has been a point of debate. Hall of Famer Frank Thomas says he sees Samardzija in that role.
- With the help of Nate Schierholtz' wife Kate, there was a "Pink Out" in the bleachers.
- The team is sticking it out with Mike Olt.
- Reliever Arodys Vizcaino is climbing the ladder and making impressions, but he won't be rushed to Wrigley on his way back to the bigs.
- The Cubs have been impressed by Jose Abreu.
- Rick Renteria believes the Cubs are getting closer to what they want to be. Hmm.
- Cub Hall of Famer Billy Williams compared the Cubs rivalry with the White Sox to a famous feud.
- In that same light, Sox' starter John Danks misses the "fun days" of fights between the city rivals.
From Cubs Den
- The Cubs and Sox are competing on the field and in the realm of scouting.
- Cubs Den explains why advanced metrics are important.
- Jeff Samardzija is clearly the Cubs' ace.
- Mike Olt is trying to find his way out of a slump.
- Cubs Care has given out more than a million dollars in grants.
- James Russell is trying to adjust to a much lighter workload.
- John Baker is looking out for fan safety.
- Cub players are getting the message, literally, about the next day's line-up.
- Doug Padilla says the Cubs-Sox rivalry suffers from a lack of identity.
- The amateur draft brings a lot of uncertainty. But one thing that is "certain" is the Cubs will be focused on pitching.
- Buster Olney (Insider) says Homer Bailey changed the market for pitchers. And that impacts players like Shark.
- Speaking of Jeff, he's a workhorse.
- Not that he would say anything different, but Jed Hoyer says trading Samarzija is not a certainty.
- Edwin Jackson is finding extra motivation.
- The Cubs were the first team to honor Sox folk hero Paul Konerko. "Hall of Very Good", right?
- Justin Grimm is adding to the bullpen control concerns.
- The Cubs' offense needs a boost. Duh.
- The Cubs are a little worried about Jeff Samardzija's pitch count.
- The former Notre Dame wide receiver has kept his football skills and translated them to the diamond.
- James Russell is a little puzzled by his lack of action.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Metrics show where the Cubs and Sox are getting their runs.
- I was rather tempted to not link to this, but it might get some of you chatting. Here is Gordo's latest screed full of misrepresentations, overgeneralizations, and snark. It's another fan rant masquerading as "reporting" that takes what could be a legitimate point and clouds it in idiocy. Otherwise known as "the usual" for Gordo.
From the Daily Herald
- Regardless of the outcome against the Sox, the Cubs have changed the world.
Today's Food For Thought
- Want to know what an ant colony really looks like? See what happens when molten aluminum is used to cast a colony. Caution: ants probably were harmed in the making of this video.