After our current 7 game losing streak, we sit at 21-21 with 120 games left, and only 4.5 games behind the Brewers pending tonight's game. While I am not one of the many "ledge jumpers" here, I do think some changes need to be made, and here's what I'd do to try and help improve this team.
1) David Patton. I was really rooting for this guy, but he really doesn't have a spot on this roster. He hasn't pitched in nearly two weeks, and therefore he is just taking up a roster spot. Considering our offensive woes, I think this would be a good time to call up Jake Fox, who is tearing the cover off the ball in AAA.
2) Neal Cotts. Yes, he did throw a 1-2-3 inning today, but it was a blowout game. In pressure situations, and against lefties specifically, he has not come through this year. I don't trust him to get that big out that a LOOGY is called upon to get, and I'd like to see Jason Wadell called up to be given a chance.
3) Aramis Ramirez. While Rammy is out, I don't like our lineup's chances with Miles/Fontenot/Scales. As a matter of fact, Bobby Scales has shown the best at bats of the three, and he would seemingly be the first one out. Aaron Miles has to go, period. He provides essentially no value to this team right now. I have read, and it was poster here last week, that Cleveland might be shopping DeRo. Let's work some magic to get him back. As Al posted earlier, his 30 RBI's would be leading the team right now. Plugging him in at 3B and allowing Scales and Fontenot to platoon at 2B would improve this roster dramatically.
4) Carlos Marmol. Marmol should be this team's closer. Kevin Gregg has been hit hard consistently this year, and while Marmol has shown control issues in the past, his stuff is untouchable when he finds it. He's the ideal closer type, and his time is due.
5) Koyie Hill. Hill, when given the chance to play, has done nothing but hit. I love Geo (he's my favorite Cub, in fact), and he plays great defense and calls a hell of a game behind the plate. Hill, however, is more than sufficient behind the plate, and I think if he were to be given more playing time it would be nothing but helpful to him, Geo, and the rest of the team. Geo, as great as he is, is a second year player, and I fear that he feels his position is safe after his ROY campaign. Healthy competition is sometimes the best motivational tool you can give a player, and I'd just like to see this explored a bit more.
As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 120 games left, 5 (at most) to make up. It's not time to panic, but it is time to analyze what has happened and make the necessary adjustments!