ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Cubs make their first appearance on a Fox-TV regional game tonight. Yes, tonight -- the Fox wizards, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to make two of their Saturday dates evening affairs. The other one will be on June 26, when the Cubs and White Sox will be featured (along with Red Sox/Giants and Yankees/Dodgers).
Tonight's announcers for the Cubs/Rangers will be Josh Lewin and Mark Grace. Great -- they assign the Rangers' main PBP man to this game -- I know Lewin once worked as a Cubs announcer, but I wonder where his loyalties will be tonight? And Grace... is just awful. More details and a link to a coverage map after the jump. Then again, the way the Cubs are playing, maybe some of you outside Chicago are happy to not see this game tonight.Notes:
- The Chicago Tribune's architecture critic Blair Kamin weighs in on the proposed hotel/residential/retail complex proposed for Clark & Addison across from Wrigley Field. Summary: it's not nearly as bad as its opponents say.
- More news on the Dodger Divorce: blogger Josh Fisher says be careful what you wish for. (H/T for the link: Rob McMillin at 6-4-2)
- Note to Lou on strategy: Josh Hamilton's sacrifice bunt last night was his first in eight years, since he was playing for Bakersfield in the California League in 2002. And he laid it down perfectly. Greg Maddux is in town this weekend. Can't he help teach the Cubs how to bunt?
- Speaking of bunting, another pitcher got hurt batting last night -- and this time it's someone who has batted many times while in the NL, Javier Vazquez, who hurt himself trying to bunt last night at Citi Field. Is this really the kind of baseball we need to see?
- Rob Neyer of ESPN.com has another realignment scheme, which would, among other things, include no divisions. One word: no. Who would want to be a fan of a team that finishes 14th or 15th every year?
|Today's Starting Pitchers|
|2010 - Randy Wells||3-2||8||8||0||0||0||0||48.0||53||23||22||3||10||39||4.13||1.31|
|2010 - Derek Holland||2-0||2||2||0||0||0||0||11.1||10||3||3||2||3||10||2.38||1.15|
Neither of tonight's pitchers has ever faced his opponent before. Randy Wells has thrown well his last two outings after the pounding he took in Pittsburgh, and all he has to show for them are a loss and a no-decision. Derek Holland started 21 games for the Rangers last year at age 22 and was pretty bad; since his recall from Triple-A this year he has made two starts, both good, both wins. Holland is a lefty, so heaven knows what lineup Lou will subject us to tonight.
Lineup via tweet from Carrie:
#cubs lineup sat is 2b riot, ss castro, 1b lee, cf byrd, dh ramy, lf sori, rf nady, c soto, 3b baker
Today's game, as noted, is on Fox. Fox's three other games are: Mets/Yankees, Red Sox/Phillies, and Tigers/Dodgers. Here's a useful map that should tell you what game you'll get in your area, and here is the rest of the MLB.com Mediacenter for today.
Tonight's first pitch thread will be up at 6 pm CDT, and the overflows will post at 7, 8 and 8:45 pm CDT.
Discuss amongst yourselves.