The non-waiver Trade Deadline has passed, and ...
- The biggest trade of the day had Ryan Dempster heading from the Cubs to the Rangers for a couple of prospects. The Dempster move was made all the more urgent - we learned only after the deadline - by a tear in Neftali Feliz's UCL, which will require Tommy John surgery. The Rangers had been hoping to get the righty back soon, but will now be without him until next year. Dempster will slide into the middle of the Rangers rotation at the same time that Roy Oswalt, who has been struggling, will slide into the bullpen, for now. It's a substantial rotation overhaul for a team that leads the AL West by three games, and is within a half game of the Yankees for the best record in the AL.
- Among the other big deals yesterday, the Reds picked up Jonathan Broxton from the Royals, the Giants got Hunter Pence from the Phillies, the Dodgers got Shane Victorino from the Phillies, and more. You can get the full rundown on activity here.
- White Sox lefty John Danks has been trying to rehabilitate a minor tear in his shoulder for some time now, with, apparently, limited results. The White Sox have announced that he'll now have exploratory surgery in the hopes that they can figure out and fix the problem. The surgery, though, will mean that Danks' season is over. The White Sox signed Danks to a five-year, $65 million extension in December.
- There were a number of other injuries taking players down in recent days, with Tommy Hanson hitting the DL with a back strain, Josh Beckett leaving his start last night with a back spasm, Yasmani Grandal going on the DL with an oblique strain.
- On the flip side of the injury coin, Joba Chamberlain is headed back to New York after recovering from both Tommy John surgery and the open dislocation of his ankle.
- In a two-part series, Beyond the Boxscore looks at deadline deals over the past ten years to determine just how worth it it was to pick up that reliever. Here's Part One. Here's Part Two.
Brett Taylor is the Lead Writer at Bleacher Nation, and a Contributor here at Bleed Cubbie Blue.