We, the writers of BCB, want to answer your questions. So a new feature will be starting soon: the still-to-be-named Writers' Roundtable. You ask questions, we'll give answers. So submit your questions here in this column. Al will pick the best of the bunch and a variety of BCB writers will give you their take. Keep most of them Cub-focused, but we might even take something off the beaten path.
Just think: you get to ask us questions... and then tell us why our answers are wrong! What could be better??
On to the links.
From Comcast SportsNet
- David Kaplan lobbies the Cubs to make a bold hire for their manager's seat.
- Darwin Barney had a dreadful season with the bat. So what's the team's second base situation look like next year?
From Cubs Den
- I've just got to say, Cubs Den is doing an excellent job of collecting content during this normally tough time of year to write.
- This blog is always on the prospect bandwagon. They argue why you shouldn't sleep on Dallas Beeler when looking at prospects in the Arizona Fall League.
- And here's a Q&A with prospect Ben Carhart, one of the young guys making the defensive switch to move behind the plate.
- Another big set of notes, take 1 topics: the tender decision with reliever Daniel Bard, the team's interest in a Korean pitcher (watch the video in the link, it's a fun watch), and there's video of recent top pick Kris Bryant lighting up the Arizona Fall League.
- More notes, take 2 topics: more notes on next year's draft and a couple other links.
- And notes, take 3 topics: Kris Bryant goes crazy (krazy?) in Arizona, a video link to a pair of recent Cub top pitching draftees and top IFA signing Eloy Jimenez (apparently, the instructional league squads held a game for Theo Epstein and members of the front office), and a smattering of other prospect updates and managerial notes.
- There's some encouraging news on Mike Olt. His eye condition seems to be improving with more treatment.
- Could the Cubs be involved in moving some of the "immovable contracts" in baseball (Insider only)?
- The Cubs are seeking a bilingual edge on their next coaching staff.
- Cubs' new-ish beat writer Mark Gonzalez takes on a mailbag.
Today's food for thought