The Cubs have done things!
From Comcast SportsNet
- Scott Boras thinks the Cubs are an "all day sucker." I think Scott Boras is a self-serving ego-maniac.
- In his new role as an analyst for MLB Network, Mark DeRosa says the Cubs should keep starter Jeff Samardzija.
- The recently retired Mark Prior has a message for the Cubs, their fans, and the teams' well-regarded prospects: nothing is destined.
- Theo Epstein is keeping a low profile while waiting for Wrigley Field renovations and a new TV deal.
- Picking up outfielder Ryan Kalish is another Red Sox reunion.
From Cubs Den
- Cubs' Notes: Ron Coomer in the radio booth, the Blue Jays chase a Shark, and more DFA possibilities become available.
- If teams want to trade for Jeff Samardzija, they're going to have to "come get him."
- Could that team be the Atlanta Braves? Whether they could put together a strong offer seems to be a mixed opinion.
- Here's a wrap-up of the team's minor moves.
- Some thoughts from the site's newest writer on the end of the Winter Meetings.
- The Cubs made minor progress at the Winter Meetings.
- That included picking up some catching depth in the form of Charles Cutler. A cool bit: the link includes a highlight of Cutler smoking a three-run double for Israel in the WBC.
- Theo Epstein says Jeff Samardzija is the team's opening day starter. Is this the proverbial "vote of confidence?"
- (Video) Jesse Rogers and Doug Padilla talk about Scott Boras' assessment of the Cubs' situation.
- The Cubs have been active, but might need yet more patience.
- Justin Ruggiano was acquired because he was a better fit for the Cubs' outfield.
From the Chicago Tribune
- Jed Hoyer says more deals are in the works.
- In the wake of the Winter Meetings, there is plenty to assess for the Cubs and Jeff Samardzija.
- Most of what Scott Boras says is self-serving hot air. But I thought this comment could spark some discussion. The "super-agent" thinks there's a flaw in the system when amateur Cuban defector Jose Abreu can sign for so much more money with the White Sox than recent Cubs' draftee Kris Bryant.
- We know the Cubs are interested in Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. But did you know Tanaka's current employer once wanted Theo Epstein to be a consultant?
- The Cubs have shut down Junior Lake for the winter due to fatigue.
- Former Marlins manager Jack McKeon believes new Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde will be a major league manager.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Gordo writes an article with a headline that doesn't match the content.
From the Daily Herald
- Ron Coomer is coming home.
Today's food for thought
- Flocks of birds can create some pretty wild imagery in the sky.