The other focus today: tick tock.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Rick Renteria expects the Cubs to show some fight.
- The front office is looking to the future when it comes to Starlin Castro and Javier Baez.
- The Cubs are waiting to make their move while hoping to "grow their own" Jacoby Ellsbury.
- The team is keeping an open mind when it comes to Jeff Samardzija.
- Theo Epstein visited Sports Talk Live this past week (video and article). The team President says "we can't make time move faster."
From Cubs Den
- Here's what to expect from the Cubs at the Winter Meetings.
- Theo has talked about time (see above). Cubs Den takes on the topic of the ticking clock.
- The Cubs are keeping options open when it comes to where Javier Baez will play.
- The team expects to be patient at the Winter Meetings.
- Rick Renteria was finally formally introduced, nearly a month after being hired. Jeez. Theo takes forever to do everything!!!!
- Rick Renteria is ready for Starlin Castro. You can hear from the new manager at the link.
- Rick Renteria says his priorities are to teach and motivate.
- (Video) The new manager talks about the excitement surrounding Cub prospects.
- He also tipped his cap to his mentors.
- Meanwhile, Theo Epstein is sticking to the long-term plan.
- I didn't see this noted anywhere else. President Barack Obama named Laura Ricketts to the Kennedy Center board.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Rick Renteria always wanted the job with the Cubs.
From the Daily Herald
- Rick Renteria says he understands what is expected of him.
- Hey look! A bonus! MiLB has a recap of the brief trial of Kris Bryant in the Cape Cod League, which gave the youngster a taste of failure. Looks like he spit it out.
- The site also had a Q&A with Bryant.
Today's food for thought
- H/T to Al (and hopefully not overdoing the space content). A planet has been discovered that shouldn't be there.