SCOTTSDALE, Arizona -- A few notes before Monday afternoon's game on another gorgeous day in the Valley:
- ICYMI, the Netherlands defeated Cuba 7-6 early Monday morning to become one of two WBC finalists from the Tokyo pool, along with Japan. One report has Japan as the WBC team playing the Cubs in Mesa Friday afternoon.
- Former Cub Derrek Lee has been contacted by the Yankees about possibly returning to the major leagues this year, according to the New York Times, as a replacement for the injured Mark Teixeira. But:
Cashman called Lee a Yankee type because of his approach and makeup. When asked about chance of signing him, simply said Lee isn't here now— Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) March 11, 2013
Cashman said he's "not optimistic" on Lee, as of right now.— Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) March 11, 2013
- A ball girl threw a fair ball into the stands during a Phillies/Rays game.
- Here's why people aren't taking the WBC as seriously as they could -- the USA's manager isn't playing to win.
- Joe Posnanski says Goose Gossage should probably stop talking about Mariano Rivera.
DeJesus CF, Barney 2B, Schierholtz RF, Soriano LF, Valbuena 3B, Castillo C, Baez SS, Clevenger 1B, Samardzija P
Eaton CF, Hill 2B, Kubel LF, Goldschmidt 1B, Chavez 3B, Pollock RF, Nieves C, Pennington SS, Cahill P
This afternoon, Jeff Samardzija takes the mound for the Cubs against Arizona's Trevor Cahill.
Today's game at Mesa will be a webcast on cubs.com with Len Kasper and Mick Gillispie. The webcast should be online and on the MLB At Bat app around 2:50 p.m. CDT.
For spring-training games, we'll have a first-pitch thread at game time and one overflow thread, 90 minutes after game time (because I know how you all like overflow threads!). For today, that will be 3 p.m. CT and 4:30 p.m. CT. These threads will not post individually onto the front page; instead, you can find links to them in the box marked "Chicago Cubs Game Threads" at the bottom of the front page. They will also appear in this StoryStream™. The pitcher box and regular-season stats will return on Opening Day.
Discuss amongst yourselves.