Per my sister's request, this is my awesome little nephew, Ashe, who has already been branded for life by mom and dad (the rest of the shirt says "Cubs fan").
From Comcast SportsNet
- (Annoying autostart video) Carlos Marmol escaped on Thursday, but how long can the Houdini act last?
- A quick overview of the Cubs' new low-A affiliate in Kane County. I was at the first game and my brother-in-law and I had a good chuckle over the idea of Lendy Castillo playing a modified Crash Davis role, talking to the youngsters about what it is like in The Show.
- Speaking of the Cougars, the Cubs' may already have their first DH in first baseman Dan Vogelbach.
- David Kaplan says that once the Wrigley deal is done, the value of the Cubs franchise will soar.
From Cubs Den
- If you want to see some of those new Kane County Cougars, here's a photo gallery.
- And I'll need a little feedback on whether you all even want these in here, but here's the Cubs Den minor league recap from Thursday night. That one has John's first-hand impressions from the Cougars' opener. He and I saw a lot of the same things and I will get my write-up done at some point.
- Theo Epstein watched Mark Appel pitch recently. There's also more draft-centric info here.
- (Written before Friday's game) Scott Feldman was excited for his first start. Maybe he's not quite as excited now.
- Matt Garza is throwing off flat ground.
- Dale Sveum doesn't want the DH in the National League.
- More Marmol drama.
- "X-factor" Travis Wood gets a check mark for his first outing of the season.
- Matt Garza wants an early-May return. (We've heard this song before, though.)
From the Chicago Tribune (register to see almost anything but videos)
- Starting pitching was the key to the Cubs' opening series win.
- Cubs pitchers made the Braves' GM upset before Friday's game.
- (Video) Dale Sveum on the 4-1 loss Friday night.
From the Chicago Sun-Times (can read a paragraph, register to read the rest)
- With Matt Garza returning (eventually, this article seems premature), Travis Wood is making his pitch to keep a rotation spot.
- Rutgers University grad David DeJesus is glad the school fired embattled basketball coach Mike Rice.
- Dale Sveum feels Kevin Ware's pain. (Almost literally, as Sveum suffered a serious leg injury that derailed his own playing career.)
From the Daily Herald (registry required for all)
- Bruce's blog says the Cubs need some work hitting with runners in scoring position.
- Whether you like it or not, Theo Epstein expects the NL will eventually add the DH.
Today's food for thought
- Let's do an animal planet kind of day. There are some baby lizards who can hatch early when they sense danger, a biological escape chute, if you will.
- Did you know that dragonflies are nature's most efficient hunters?