Speaking of pitching, while this isn't exactly the old Baltimore Orioles four aces, but stop and think about how transformed the Cub pitching staff has become. We went from almost no pitching, to having legitimate excess in an awfully short period of time.
Which is why I will now advocate for trading Scott Feldman. There's something about him that screams to me "sell high". That feeling is buoyed by confidence in Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to find more middle (to back) of the rotation starters. In just two offseasons, they acquired Travis Wood for a bullpen luxury item, and signed Paul Maholm, Feldman, and Carlos Villanueva. Scott Baker's injuries have surely been disappointing, but he could still work out. Even if he doesn't, that's an awfully high success rate.
So count me in for trading Feldman, who Buster Olney says (Insider only) just might be the top pitcher available at the trade deadline (unless teammate Matt Garza proves healthy). I've got confidence that Theo will find a guy(s) to fill those shoes next offseason.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Dale Sveum is pushing Starlin Castro to the next level.
- Scott Feldman is on an incredible roll.
- DH? The Cubs don't need no stinkin' DH.
- (Video) Cub fan "Bleacher Tim" missed a shot to snag Travis Wood's HR. So his wife poured a beer on him.
From Cubs Den
- The Anarchist's Brunch argues the Cubs have no "Big Plan". Have a click to see why that's not necessarily an insult.
- Trading for Travis Wood is looking like a big win for the front office.
- Cub notes, including some players looking good at XST in Arizona.
- Don't panic about Javier Baez. Yet.
- Carlos Villanueva will bring a veteran's presence to the bullpen.
- Anthony Rizzo has gone back to his roots.
- Ian Stewart is contemplating his future.
- Starlin Castro is still unfulfilled potential.
- The Cubs' already strong rotation is set to get stronger.
- What are the implications of Matt Garza's return?
- Checking in on a bunch of prospects.
- (Video) Dale Sveum says "we're not that young", which cuts out an excuse.
- (Video) Sveum is also still seeing lapses with Starlin Castro.
From the Chicago Sun-Times (can read a paragraph, register to read the rest)
- The Cub rotation has been pretty fantastic. But the team needs to be more well-rounded.
From the Daily Herald (registry required for all)
- The Cub starters are looking good.
- Len Kasper says Anthony Rizzo's shiny new contract is just part of the Cubs' plan.
Today's food for thought
- Giant snails are invading Florida. The real danger? Most sunshine state citizens can't run away fast enough. (I lived there for 13 years -- I can throw stones.)
- Fantastic nature photos. The first one shows a tree that seems to defy gravity.