Racehorses have their official birthdays on January 1. That seems a bit unfair, but so it goes. I've decided the anniversary day for the Zygote 50 is July 1, as that is just before the trade/international signing frenzy. To that end, quarterly updates would make sense in early October and early April. I doubt January would merit an update.
For those not familiar with the Zygote 50, it's my list of Cubs prospects. The difference on this list is that I define "prospect". For hitters, I'm judging it based on the likelihood of reaching 3000 major-league at-bats. For pitchers, the goal is assessing the likelihood of 1000 career big-league nnings. For relievers (or starters outside the prior mentioned twenty), the threshold is 300 major-league innings. While this list isn't intended to account for everything, it's what I'm comfortable with.
I have added a category this time. Since so many players have been (or will soon be) added that I have no familiarity with, I need a place to categorize question marks. Three main examples for my 'On The Radar' section exist. One is the soon-to-be-much-talked-about international free agent. If the Cubs sign the much-hyped Eloy Ramirez, I need a place on the prospect list to store his name. He is too far removed from full-season ball to have a credibly accurate percentile chance of 3000 at-bats, but I need to keep him in mind when I prepare my next list. The same applies to recent high school draftees, as I have no actionable information on them. as July advances, there will be trades. If the Cubs acquire a catcher who has been playing with the Delmarva Shorebirds, I doubt my opinion will be solidified until I hear or watch him play, That could be rectified by catching a game or two of his on MiLB-TV, or it might take longer.
As circumstances warrant (great name for a rock band), I fully expect to get button-holed about recently acquired players. That said, quite a few people will give quicker info than I will. I'm not so much with "Badler said this" or "Keith Law said that". I'd much rather sit at my computer and watch a game. Once I get an opinion, I will update the list.
A few guys are not on the list. Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson have too many at-bats, as 50 disqualifies a hitter. Any pitcher at 30 innings is also DQ'd. As at-bats and innings pitched are the qualifier eventually, this list is for guys still in the very formative stages. This year's first-round pick, Kris Bryant is unsigned as of this writing. When signed, he will qualify in the top four. One through three are very close now, and I'm not sure where Bryant will fit.
Other draft picks will be added as they are signed, perchance into the 'On The Radar' sector.
Without further ado (another great name for a rock band)...
1. Albert Almora, CF, Low-A Kane County.
2. Jorge Soler, OF, High-A Daytona
3. Javier Baez, SS, High-A Daytona
4. Arismendy Alcantara, SS, Double-A Tennessee
5. Logan Watkins, 2B, Triple-A Iowa
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B, Low-A Kane County
7. Christian Villanueva, 3B, Double-A Tennessee'
8. Jeimer Candelario, 3B, Low-A Kane County
9. Matt Szczur, OF, Double-A Tennessee
10. Jae-Hoon Ha, OF Triple-A Iowa
11. Rubi Silva, OF, Double-A Tennessee
12. Rock Shoulders, 1B, Low-A Kane County
13. Willson Contreras, C, Low-A Kane County
14. Ronald Torreyes, 2B, Double-A Tennessee
15. Jacob Hannemann, OF, Short Season Boise
16. Junior Lake, UT, Triple-A Iowa
17. Gioskar Amaya, 2B, Kane County
18. Dustin Geiger, 1B, High-A Daytona
19. Carlos Penalver, SS, Short Season Boise
20. Justin Bour, 1B, Double-A Tennessee
Just missed: Shawon Dunston, Jr., John Andreoli
1. Arodys Vizcaino, Major League Disabled List
2. Pierce Johnson, High-A Daytona
3. Kyle Hendricks, Double-A Tennessee
4. Chris Rusin, Triple-A Iowa
5. Alberto Cabrera, Double-A Tennessee
6. Juan Paniagua, Dominican Summer League
7. Paul Blackburn, Short Season Boise
8. Rob Zastryzny, Mesa Complex
9. Tayler Scott, Low-A Kane County
10. Eric Jokisch, Double-A Tennessee
11. Josh Conway, Mesa Complex
12. Tyler Skulina, Mesa Complex
13. James Pugliese, Short Season Boise
14. Duane Underwood, Short Season Boise
15. Mike Heesch, Low-A Kane County
16. Dillon Maples, Low-A kane County
17. Jose Rosario, Low-A Kane County
18. Ben Wells, High-A Daytona
19. David Garner, Mesa Complex
20. Sam Wilson, Mesa Complex
1. Zach Rosscup, Double-A Tennessee
2. Trey Masek, Mesa Complex
3. Hector Rondon, Chicago
4. Frank Batista, Double-A Tennessee
5. Austin Kirk, Double-A Tennessee
6. Scott Frazier, Mesa Complex
7. Tony Zych, Double-A Tennessee
8. Frank del Valle, High-A Daytona
9. Michael Wagner, Mesa Complex
10. Carlos Martinez-Pumarino, Short-season Boise
On The Radar
1. Ryan McNeil (Injured, 2012 draftee)
2. Frandy Delarosa (2012 International signing)