As you might imagine, there's quite a bit of Ryne Sandberg reaction to get through. Be nice and remember: this is a topic about a former Cubs player who also managed in the Cubs' system for several seasons. It's completely relevant to this site.
From Comcast SportsNet
- The Cubs have become big players in the international market. This article contains quotes from Carlos Villanueva, who as a member of the MLBPA's executive board helped craft the current international signing rules.
- You know how well Javier Baez, Kris Bryant and other Cubs hitting prospects are doing. But the pitchers are also making some noise. (Includes a Mick Gillispie video interview with Eric Jokisch about his no-hitter.)
- Are you impatient for Cubs prospects to hit the big leagues? Here are some thoughts about when and whether they'll make it.
From Cubs Den
- Here's a preview of the Under Armour All-America Game that will take place at Wrigley Field August 24.
- And here's Part 2 of Cubs Den's interview with Gordon Wittenmyer.
- Some thoughts about Starlin Castro's struggles as they relate to Javier Baez.
- Matt Guerrier is having (not Tommy John) surgery, but he wants to come back to the Cubs next year.
- Dale Sveum wonders how the replay challenge system will work.
- Here are a few more notes on the Cubs' crop of international signings this year.
- Current Cubs players wish Ryne Sandberg well in his new job.
- VIDEO: Jake Arrieta says the change of scenery was "huge" for him.
- Phil Rogers on the Ryne Sandberg managerial hiring by the Phillies (subscription only)
- Sandberg's former teammate Keith Moreland gives him a lot of credit for getting to the major leagues as a manager.
- Paul Sullivan talks to Beth Murphy, owner of Murphy's Bleachers, about the dispute between rooftop owners and the Cubs.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Gordon Wittenmyer asks whether the Cubs will ever catch the Cardinals, either in the standings or organizationally. The answers might surprise you.
- Anthony Rizzo wants the Cubs to play "spoiler". (Hint to Anthony: if you'd start hitting, that might help.)
- Rick Morrissey says setting Ryne Sandberg free was the best thing for both the Cubs and Sandberg.
From the Daily Herald
- Columnist Barry Rozner has known Ryne Sandberg for a very long time. Rozner tells the story of how Sandberg decided to get into managing.
- In this article which is mostly about the replay challenge system, Carlos Villanueva is quoted as saying he's cool with going back to the pen, whatever it takes to help the team win.
Today's food for thought
- Do you see this woman spin clockwise or counterclockwise? Your answer will tell you something about the way your brain works.