Here's some food for thought: How come it takes me almost as long to get one "Food for thought" link as it does the whole rest of this column? Is my brain not eating enough? What's a balanced brain diet? I'm guessing it doesn't include Oreos.
So much easier to just tell Buster Olney that tomorrow will be even better.
Anyway, it's good that after today, I can hand this column back to Erik's competent hands. And that's why tomorrow will be even better.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Patrick Mooney says that "industry sources" say the Cubs are going to make a run at Shin-Soo Choo this off-season. Mooney agrees that Choo would be a good acquisition because of his OBP skills,his left-handedness and his veteran leadership.
- Speaking of left-handed hitting outfielders, Brett Jackson is trying to rejuvenate his career in Double-A Tennessee. It's been a lost-season so far for the former Cubs first-round pick, but he sees it as a learning experience.
- Starlin Castro needs to go back to being Starlin Castro. So that's been his problem. He's been Jeff Blauser all season.
- Some Cubs weren't surprised that their former teammate Ryan Dempster went after Alex Rodriguez.
From Cubs Den
- John Arguello offers his thoughts on how you should evaluate the job Dale Sveum has done and whether or not you should cheer for the Cubs to lose to get a better draft pick.
- Are the Cubs and Starlin Castro heading towards a divorce?
- A look at who might get a callup when the rosters expand on September 1. I will note that any Matt Szczur promotion would likely wait until after Tennessee's playoff run ends.
- Donnie Murphy has impressed the Cubs with his recent power surge.
- Nate Schierholtz hopes to stay in Wrigley for a long time.
- Dale Sveum shook up the lineup.
- Nationals GM Mike Rizzo thinks the Cubs are rebuilding the right way.
- The Cubs hit a lot of home runs, but they don't score a lot of runs because they don't get on base enough. Jed Hoyer says the Cubs need to address that in the off-season. Does the answer rhyme with "Kin Who Knew"?
- Jesse Rogers thinks Logan Watkins needs to play more.
- Anthony Rizzo is working on hitting fastballs better.
- VIDEO: Jake Arrieta explains where he went wrong last night.
- VIDEO: Anthony Rizzo reacts to last nights game and his two home runs.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- The young Cubs miss all the recently-traded veteran leadership.
- Starlin Castro says that some of his problems are a result of thinking too much and trying to be too patient.
From the Daily Herald
- Dale Sveum is trying to get Castro's "swagger back."
- Donnie Murphy has forced the Cubs to play him every day.
- Brian Bogusevic is going to get a good long look the rest of the season.
Today's food for thought
- Double Stuf Oreos do not actually contain double the stuff.