Every outlet wrote about Theo Epstein's assessment of July. They all wrote about Junior Lake. Interesting to see how they can take the same interviews and spin wildly different headlines and stories. I mean that in a good way and a bad way.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Junior Lake put on a show on offense and defense against the Dodgers.
- And Dale Sveum is pleased with the younster's offense and defense.
- Carlos Marmol is happy to return to Wrigley: in first place.
- David DeJesus sees Theo Epstein's plan coming to fruition. Remember, DDJ was Theo's first free-agent signing for the Cubs.
- A contract extension for Jeff Samardzija will be a top priority this offseason. Jed Hoyer also addressed how Shark trade rumors came about.
From Cubs Den
- Take a look ahead to next year's starting rotation.
- Here's an inventory of the Cubs' minor league pitching.
- Jed Hoyer is being pretty upfront about the team's plans.
- The Cubs officially signed top IFA prospect Eloy Jimenez.
- Kyuji Fujikawa is eager to prove himself next year.
- Carlos Marmol is just moving on from his time with the Cubs.
- Dale Sveum thinks clutch hitting is a unique skill.
- (Video) In case you missed it, take a look at Junior Lake and Anthony Rizzo each homering twice against the Dodgers.
- Trade deadline wrap-ups: David DeJesus and other vets were happy to stay with the Cubs, GM Jed Hoyer says the Cubs were never close to trading Jeff Samardzija, and Hoyer also believes the trades that were made have reinforced the team's future.
- The team is looking at a really busy July as a big success.
- Many of the Cubs' young minor league players are developing nicely.
- The team is really enjoying having their Midwest League Low-A affiliate close by.
- Javier Baez won't get a call-up this season. But Mike Olt might.
- Jed Hoyer says Starlin Castro is still a huge part of the core.
- Anthony Rizzo's production is on the rise.
- Edwin Jackson has pitched over a "dark cloud" this season.
- (Audio) Care to listen to a real legend? Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax stopped by the podcast to talk about Wrigley Field.
- The "Lake Show" rolls on.
- Carlos Marmol extracted some revenge on his old team.
- The Dodgers' promotion of Yasiel Puig could be a lesson for the Cubs.
- Theo Epstein is happy with the organization's direction, but he's not ready to forecast a title contender.
From the Chicago Tribune
- Don't expect all that many fresh faces in 2014.
- (Video) Theo Epstein is happy with the Cubs' progress.
- That said, patience is still needed.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Gordo says the Cubs can't spend like the Dodgers.
- Theo Epstein was pleased with July, but he's still realistic.
From the Daily Herald
- So the Cubs got their trading done early. Now what?
- The Cubs are keeping their core together.
Today's food for thought
- "Jetman" can fly 180 miles per hout in a jet wing contraption that is AWESOME.