The offense is still groan worthy, but I'll be interested to watch the pitching down the stretch. And there's a real nice article about Dave Keller down in Daytona (h/t to the Sun Times). Make sure you read that one.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Daniel Bard is ready for a fresh start with the Cubs.
- The Cubs have nothing to lose, so they're turning to Scott Baker today.
- The education of Junior Lake continues.
- After the trade of Matt Garza, where are the Cubs now?
- Javier Baez is the face of a very successful minor league season for the Cubs' system.
- Hall of Famer and former Cub Andre Dawson sees changes coming to the Cubs as empty seats pile up.
From Cubs Den
- Despite much publicized money woes, the Cubs might make a strong push for the next starting pitcher coming from Japan, Masahiro Tanaka.
- Tom Ricketts addressed the team's financial situation.
- Welington Castillo is emerging as a long-term answer at catcher.
- Daniel Bard's whirlwind season will end in the Cubs' bullpen.
- Kevin Gregg's re-emergence has been a pleasant surprise.
- Chris Rusin is still a work in progress.
- Junior Lake is a dual threat on offense.
- Jeff Samardzija just isn't battling enough.
From the Chicago Tribune
- (Video) Dale Sveum talks about the opportunity the Cubs' young pitchers have.
- Javy Baez is a superstar in the making.
- Donnie Murphy is making a strong case to be part of next year's roster.
- Despite a hiccup on Friday, Pedro Strop is making a case to be next season's closer.
- Tom Ricketts is stressing faith in the Cubs' process.
- Cubs and White Sox telecasts are going their own direction.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Dave Keller does it the right way down on the Cubs' farm. The Cubs' front office is giving Keller and his staff in Daytona a lot of credit for progress in the Cubs' minor league system.
- Poor play is driving fans away.
From the Daily Herald
- Many Cubs are looking to make a final impression this season.
- Dale Sveum thinks the September call-up rule needs some tweaking.
- Junior Lake continues to make his case to be part of the future plan.
Today's food for thought
- This is operation puppy rescue. It's the story of a national guard unit being reunited with some four-footed friends.