Pitchers and catchers are officially expected in Mesa in just a little over two weeks (Feb. 13) and the full Cubs squad in about three (Feb. 18), so here's something to get you ready for games, a full list of the rostered and non-roster players, as well as Cubs coaches and the new manager. A few notes:
- New third-base coach Gary Jones will wear No. 1. It has been a long time since a Cubs coach wore that number -- specifically, not since the Wrigleys owned the team. Cookie Rojas, who was a coach from 1977-81, was the last non-player to wear uniform No. 1.
- Welington Castillo switches from No. 53 to No. 5 for 2014; Josh Vitters, who had that number "reserved" on the 40-man list all last year without appearing in a big-league game, switches to No. 27.
- No one is listed at No. 12; that might be reserved for Chang-yong Lim, who was reported to have been issued a NRI, but that hasn't apparently been made official, yet. The last full season in which no Cub was issued No. 12 was 1982.
- I like the issuance of No. 77 to Kris Bryant. Maybe he'll keep it on making the major-league team. Meanwhile, Javier Baez retains the No. 70 he wore at spring training 2013.
- Travis Wood had given up No. 30 to Dioner Navarro in 2013, but will keep the No. 37 he wore last year for 2014. He had a really good year wearing No. 37, so why not?
- Chad Noble, the new Cubs bullpen catcher, was the 37th-round pick of the team out of Northwestern in 2010. He played four years in the system, peaking at Iowa last year. Here's his complete minor-league record.
While we're on the topic of Cubs uniform numbers, here's my annual shameless plug. If you don't yet have your copy of "Cubs By The Numbers", the book co-authored by me, Kasey Ignarski and Matt Silverman, you can order yours at this link.
Onward. Retired numbers are listed just so you have an idea of what numbers are not being issued. Non-roster players designated by *. All these numbers are tentative as of January 24 and subject to change; perhaps a free agent or two will be added before camp begins.
1 Gary Jones, third-base coach 2 Eric Hinske, first-base coach 3 Bill Mueller, hitting coach 4 Ryan Roberts * 5 Welington Castillo 6 Ryan Sweeney 7 Brett Jackson 8 Donnie Murphy 9 George Kottaras 10 Ron Santo (retired) 11 Kyuji Fujikawa 13 Starlin Castro 14 Ernie Banks (retired) 15 Darwin Barney 16 Rick Renteria, manager 17 Brandon Hyde, bench coach 18 Chris Rusin 19 Nate Schierholtz 20 Justin Ruggiano 21 Junior Lake 22 Logan Watkins 23 Ryne Sandberg (retired) 24 Luis Valbuena 25 Chris Bosio, pitching coach 26 Billy Williams (retired) 27 Josh Vitters 28 Chris Coghlan * 29 Jeff Samardzija 30 Mike Olt 31 Fergie Jenkins/Greg Maddux (retired) 32 Eli Whiteside * 33 Carlos Villanueva 34 Kerry Wood, instructor 35 Lester Strode, bullpen coach 36 Edwin Jackson 37 Travis Wood 38 John Baker * 39 Casper Wells * 40 James Russell 41 Jose Veras 42 Jackie Robinson (retired by MLB) 43 Brooks Raley 44 Anthony Rizzo 45 Mitch Maier * 46 Pedro Strop 47 Arodys Vizcaino 48 Aaron Cunningham * 49 Jake Arrieta 50 Blake Parker 51 Ryan Kalish * 52 Justin Grimm 53 Wesley Wright 54 Darnell McDonald * 55 Alberto Cabrera 56 Hector Rondon 57 Jonathan Sanchez * 58 Mike Borzello, catching/strategy coach 59 Zac Rosscup 60 Chris Valaika * 61 Christian Villanueva 62 , quality assurance coach 63 Brian Schlitter * 64 Franklin Font, staff assistant 65 Tommy Hottovy * 66 Neil Ramirez 67 Tsuyoshi Wada * 68 Jorge Soler 70 Javier Baez * 71 Dallas Beeler 72 Matt Szczur 73 Marcus Hatley * 74 Brett Marshall 75 Arismendy Alcantara 76 Jeudy Valdez * 77 Kris Bryant * 78 Albert Almora * 79 Kyle Hendricks * 80 Eric Jokisch *
81 Armando Rivero *
82 Rafael Lopez *
83 Adam Melhuse, scout
83 Luis Flores (minor league camp)
84 Carlos Pimentel *
85 Desi Wilson, instructor (hitting coach, Tennessee) 86 Mike Mason, instructor (assistant pitching coord) 87 Bruce Walton, instructor (pitching coach, Iowa)
88 Kyle Phillips, scout
88 Will Remillard (minor league camp)
89 Carmelo Martinez, instructor (Latin America field coord) 90 Storm Davis, instructor (pitching coach, Tennessee) 91 Marty Pevey, instructor (manager, Iowa) 92 Jose Flores, instructor (minor league infield coord) 93 Brian Harper, instructor (hitting coach, Iowa) 94 Buddy Bailey, instructor (manager, Tennessee) 95 Chad Noble, bullpen catcher 96 Mike Brumley, assistant hitting coach 97 Tim Cossins, instructor (minor league field coord) 98 Derek Johnson, instructor (minor league pitching coord) 99 Anthony Iapoce, instructor (special assistant)