This was drafted before Monday night's college football title game, but by the time you read this, you'll know whether I'm a very happy or dejected alumnus.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Jeff Samardzija is in wait-and-see mode when it comes to the Cubs' rebuild.
From Cubs Den
- If you've got the winter blues, maybe a sneak peak at the Cubs' new digs in Mesa will give you warmer thoughts.
- The Anarchist's Brunch thinks it's time to build.
- A position-by-position preview starts at the hot corner.
- Outfield prospect Albert Almora has the look of someone who could rise quickly through the system.
- (Video) Len Kasper talks about the expectations for Junior Lake.
- Carrie tackles a Q&A, which includes fans wondering why the team might trade Jeff Samardzija. Look: I get why some fans don't want Samardzija traded. I myself am firmly on the fence and fall more towards the "I'd have to be absolutely blown away by a trade offer" mentality. But if you can't understand why the team might trade Shark (and come up with something more intelligent than "because Theo only loves prospects!!"), then I just don't know what to tell you.
- Dan posted this in another thread, but (as of this writing) nobody commented. Fangraphs took a look at Jeff Samardzija's two bad months.
Today's food for thought
- (Video) This is short, so please watch. It's a "badger bat", recently discovered in Sudan.
- And from the same site, here are the top 100 weather photos of 2013.