Imagine opening up a time capsule from 25 years ago and finding something that you didn't know existed and at the same time didn't want to know existed because of the bad memories associated with it. That's kind of what happened on Tuesday.
Here's the latest from around the web:
From Comcast SportsNet:
- If you hate to think about 2003, you probably don't want to click this. It's a photo from Eric Karros of the 2003 World Series Cubs hat that was put in the players' lockers during Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS.
- Andrew Friedman was hired by the Los Angeles Dodgers, and now he has a chance to take a page out of the Cubs' playbook.
- From the "news that isn't news" department: Kris Bryant's time with the Cubs is coming soon.
- From the same department: The Cubs will be in the market for a number-one starter.
- Addison Russell made an appearance at second base in the Arizona Fall League.
From the Chicago Tribune via RedEye Chicago:
- In the Cubs' mission for more left-handed bats, Billy McKinney fits the bill.
- In case you wanted to read the Phil Rosenthal piece on the TV situation that Al mentioned in his Wednesday article, here it is.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
- David Just has more from Eric Karros about his treasured keepsake.
- Not content to let the Eric Karros hat rest in its own sadness, Rick Telander reflects on other Cubs playoff hardships. In case you have any open cuts, I'm sure Rick has a large bottle of salt he could procure to rub in them. He might even do it himself at no extra charge.
From Cubs Den:
- John Arguello hopes that the Cubs will land that impact pitcher, but he doesn't expect them to go on a spending spree like they did in the days of 2006 and 2007.
- The revamped Cubs bullpen reaps rewards on multiple fronts.
From Chicago Cubs Online:
- The front office would like Manny Ramirez to keep working with the Cubs' young hitters.
- New hitting coach John Mallee spent time with Bruce Levine and Mike Esposito on Saturday on The Score, and he had a lot to talk about.
- Edwin Jackson will have to make dramatic improvements to have a continuing role with the Cubs.
- This time, it's Triple-A prospect love: Four Iowa Cubs make the Baseball America Top 20 List in the Pacific Coast League.
From Cubbies Crib:
- Jacob Misener looks at Arismendy Alcantara and his potential role for the Cubs in 2015.
From Chicago Cubs 101:
- Tim Duxbury looks more at Kyle Schwarber and why he feels that Schwarber will become a useable catcher in the Major Leagues.
- What is the cost of signing an ace?
- Here's the All-Cubs team since 1990 by WAR.
From Cubs Insider:
- For all of you Heroes and Goats fans out there who wanted a little more detail about WPA, here's a piece from Nate Schmidt that takes a look a the stat and what it means.
- Meet a White Sox investor who just made a major investment with the Cubs.
- [Subscription] Pedro Strop was nominated by Baseball Prospectus for Best Slider in 2014.
Today's food for thought: Fun with lists and fiction!
- For Doomsday lovers: The rankings of every possible apocalypse from worst to best.
- Here's a look back at some of the most malevolent brain monsters from television and other media.
- And here are 12 futuristic worlds where everybody uses obsolete technology.