First, congratulations to the San Francisco Giants for their victory on Wednesday night to win their third World Series in five years.
Second, just about every major outlet has a story about the reported hiring of Joe Maddon, and in the interest of not linking the same story multiple times I have not included any of them here. But if there's a writer that you like the odds are good that there's an article out there by that writer about it.
From Comcast SportsNet:
- Patrick Mooney takes a look back at the events leading up to the reported hiring of Joe Maddon as the new manager.
- And he also asks: Now that they reportedly have Maddon, how about getting Russell Martin?
- [VIDEO] The gang at SportsTalk Live discusses what potentially happens to the competitive timeline with Maddon as the manager.
- C.J. Edwards celebrated his announcement to the Arizona Fall League All-Star team with another strong three-inning outing.
- Jesse Rogers looks at what a Joe Maddon coaching staff could look like.
- With nothing still yet official, Rick Renteria says he's focusing on his job.
From CBS Chicago:
- If it is true that Maddon is coming, Tim Baffoe tells Cub fans that they should temper their expectations.
- Dave Wischnowsky looks at the tragic death of Oscar Taveras and draws parallels to the death of Kenny Hubbs in 1964.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
- Gordon Wittenmyer writes that Jake Peavy has the Cubs at the top of his wish list, and that he and Jon Lester could be a package deal for any team.
- And apparently Rick Renteria hasn't heard anything from the front office while the Maddon rumors swirl.
From the Daily Herald:
- Barry Rozner says that while what is happening to Renteria is potentially cruel, in the end it's still strictly business.
From Cubs Den:
- Having Joe Maddon as the manager would add a new dimension to the Cubs' plan.
- John Arguello looks at the quest of adding intangibles to the Cubs' emerging young talent.
- And for those looking ahead to the 2015 draft, ESPN has released their Top 30 list.
From Chicago Cubs Online:
- CCO continues their position analysis with a look at left field.
- The Kane County Cougars are the winners of the 2014 MiLBY for the Best Team in Minor League Baseball.
- And the Cubs are the winners of the 2014 MiLBY for the Best Farm System of the Year.
From Cubbies Crib:
- Cubbies Crib talks with the crew at Rays Colored Glasses about the Joe Maddon situation.
- Is it possible that the Cubs would pursue both Jon Lester and Max Scherzer this offseason?
From Cubs Insider:
- Nate Schmidt continues his look at the Cubs by the numbers, this time focusing on defense and the Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR).
Today's food for thought: