LAll this talk of gambling and World Series odds is making me really miss Las Vegas. It's been a few years since I've been there and it seems like it's time to plan another trip. Might be time to save up some vacation days...
Here's the latest from around the web:
From Comcast SportsNet Chicago:
- Patrick Mooney weighs in on the Jason Motte signing, saying that with Joe Maddon at the controls of the bullpen betting on Motte could have a huge payoff.
- He also discusses the Jeff Samardzija signing on the South Side, saying that there's no bigger fan of The Shark than The Shark himself.
- Jason Motte is excited to play for Joe Maddon after seeing him previously when the Cardinals played the Rays.
- After all of the moves made in Chicago this offseason, Mike Bauman says that the true center of baseball has moved off of the coasts and into Chicago. And that was before all of Friday's maneuvers.
From ESPN Chicago:
- Jesse Rogers tempers expectations from Cub fans who may be expecting too much after the offseason so far.
- I guess we have this going for us: Jon Lester knows all about curses.
From CBS Chicago:
- Dave Wischnowsky says that Lester's contract isn't about six years, but instead only about one.
- [AUDIO] Lester spoke on the Spiegel and Mannelly Show on Thursday morning on The Score 670.
From the Chicago Tribune via RedEye Chicago:
- Paul Sullivan looks back at some of his favorite moments of 2014.
- He also talks about the offseason in Chicago, saying that the buzz is more pronounced than ever.
From the Daily Herald:
- Tom Ricketts will be appearing at a suburban chamber luncheon in Elk Grove Village on January 27, 2015. Tickets are available and the deadline to sign up is January 20.
From Cubs Den:
- In a two-part piece, John Arguello looks at the state of the roster after the Friday moves and what could still be expected before the start of next season.
- Part two addresses the pitching staff and whether or not Edwin Jackson can be saved.
From Chicago Cubs Online:
- Javier Baez is continuing his hot streak in Winter Ball, going 3-for-4 on Friday night with a two-run homer. He's now 8-for-18 for Santurce with two homers and eight strikeouts.
- Jed Hoyer spoke with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden Wednesday afternoon on MLB Network Radio.
- Scott Boras was asked about a contract extension for Jake Arrieta, replying that the earliest that anything would happen along that front would be January or February.
From Cubbies Crib:
From Chicago Cubs 101:
- Tim Duxbury looks at David Ross and the importance of a personal catcher.
- He also gives his take on why the Justin Ruggiano trade for Matt Brazis was the right move.
- We've talked before about how Javier Baez is doing in Winter Ball, but Arismendy Alcantara, Junior Lake, and Manny Ramirez are playing in the winter as well.
From Cubs Insider:
- Evan Altman presents his 12 Days of Cubsmas.
- In case you missed it, the Cubs selected outfielder Ariel Ovando from the Houston Astros in the minor-league portion of the Rule 5 Draft, and they're intending on converting him to a pitcher.
- Beyond the Box Score looks at Miguel Montero and explains why he's a perfect fit for the Cubs.
- [VIDEO] The Cubs e-mailed this video to season-ticket holders last week with wishes for a happy holiday season. After the ten-second mark you'll probably be hypnotized and not remember anything that happens after it.
Today's food for thought:
- Scientists discovered a never-before-seen fish in the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean at a depth of 26,722 feet. Now that's deep.
- Tired of color in your tomatoes? British breeders have created black and white ones.
- And as the year draws nearer to a close, here are some of the biggest scientific breakthroughs of 2014.