The downside of having the incredibly active Winter Meetings earlier this month is that there really hasn't been any moves of real significance during the last two weeks of the year.
- Andrew Simon lists five MLB teams that have had a quiet offseason and what they might still yet do before spring training starts.
- One team that definitely has not had a quiet offseason is the San Diego Padres. But despite all their moves, they're still short a starting pitcher.
- And that's a problem, because as Jeff Sullivan points out, the Padres improved their offense this winter at the expense of their defense, especially behind the plate.
- Jon Paul Morosi looks at the trade market for outfielders, listing who is available and which teams still need an outfielder.
- Pitcher Hiroki Kuroda has decided to return to Japan and pitch for the Hiroshima Carp.
- Dayn Perry says that Kuroda's departure is bad news for the Yankees.
- The Dodgers are close to signing Chin-Hui Tsao to a minor league deal. Tsao has not pitched in MLB since 2007 and not anywhere in the past five years after being expelled from the Taiwanese league in a match-fixing scandal. (He was not charged in connection to that scandal.)
- Free agent infielder Takashi Toritani has offers to play in MLB from the Blue Jays and the Padres. He's played his entire career with the Hanshin Tigers and may yet decide to stay in Japan.
- Peter Gammons goes over the problems the Phillies will have getting fair value for Cole Hamels.There has been talk of a deal to the Padres involving Wil Myers.
- David Schoenfield asks "Who is the better pitcher? Doug Fister or Jeff Samardzija?" That's not just a rhetorical device. He really isn't sure.
- Jake Peavy talks about his decision to re-sign with the Giants.
- The Nationals signed Heath Bell and Dan Uggla to minor-league deals. That will do wonders for ticket sales in DC this winter. "We've got Dan Uggla and Heath Bell!"
- Bell will make $1 million with another $1 million in incentives this season if he makes the major league team.
- David Ross talks about the process of signing with the Cubs and how he found out on the radio that he had signed with the Padres.
- Braves team president John Schuerholz wants the team to go back to its old scouting and development ways.
- Carson Cistulli remembers the career of Brandon Webb.
- Paul Casella has some interesting statistics from the 2014 season.
- And finally, Nolan Ryan remembers the day he was elected to the Hall of Fame.
And tomorrow will be a better day than today, Buster.