Sometimes I have witty or useful information here. Sometimes, you get exactly what you pay for this column. Sorry, it's been a long day.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Here's a Q&A with Ron Coomer, the new radio partner for Pat Hughes.
- The team is betting on a bounce back season from Mike Olt. I know many won't want to hear it, but I think the team is planning on Olt being the regular at third base.
From Cubs Den
- Take an in-depth look at Jeff Samardzija.
- Around the league, there is some serious loneliness for some unsigned pitchers.
- EconoBall wonders if hard throwing pitchers are more likely to repeat good performances than finesse pitchers.
- Most everyone only wants to talk about the Cubs' future, since the present looks bleak. Rick Renteria isn't buying it and is instead focused on the here and now.
- Political opinions around Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel are certainly divided (mandatory plea for no political discussion, please). But the Mayor certainly supports sports in the city.
- Mark Gonzalez fields mailbag questions such as those wondering if Starlin Castro will get traded when Javier Baez eventually gets promoted.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Shockingly, Gordo finds little reason to believe the Cubs' tough times will end.
From the Daily Herald
- Cub fans figure to suffer through another rough year.
Today's food for thought