Today is also a fantastic day in baseball. The game will celebrate Jackie Robinson today. Thanks, No. 42.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Jeff Samardzija is backing the efforts of the Northwestern University football players who are considering forming a union.
- Shark also knows it is "likely" he will be traded.
- And looking back, Shark thinks Notre Dame had a "crazy" impact on him.
- The Cubs say this year won't be last year all over again.
- The Cubs' brass is keeping an open mind when it comes to the summer draft.
- The team misses Alfonso Soriano's swagger.
From Cubs Den
- Here's an update on potential Cub draftees, including some dominant video from a HS LHP.
- Here's a minor league photo gallery.
- In case you didn't get enough of yesterday's festivities, Cubs Den takes on where the Cubs went wrong with Edwin Jackson.
- The Cubs are excited they will be in New York on the day baseball honors Jackie Robinson.
- The front office is honing in on a draft strategy.
- Starlin Castro says the friendship and guidance from Alfonso Soriano has been invaluable.
- Staying sharp has been hard for Mike Olt and Wesley Wright.
- The closer problems for the Cubs have had a trickle down effect on the rest of the pen.
- Speaking of (former) closers, Jose Veras says he won't give in to failure.
- (Audio) Eric Hinske joined the podcast to talk about the transition to being a first base coach.
- Ricky Renteria's style is proving to be unpredictable.
From the Chicago Tribune
- The front office is keeping a close eye on some young pitchers for this summer's draft.
- Derek Jeter has made an impression on lots of young players, including Starlin Castro.
- Jason Hammel is returning to the site of his biggest test.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Al linked this in Sunday's game preview, but I thought some of you might like to discuss further. Gordo says the Cubs have to strike gold deep in the amateur draft in order to compete with the Cardinals. He's wrong, but discuss anyway.
- A link about a week ago said Justin Grimm still wanted to be a starter. Now, he wants the closer's job.
- When the Cubs missed out on Masahiro Tanaka, they signed Jason Hammel. The two face off tonight.
Today's food for thought
- Baby sloths squeak.
- The most useful animals on Earth died thousands of years ago.