Programming note: this was filed between games of the doubleheader against the Yanks. No complainin' - you don't need me to surf the internet.
From Comcast SportsNet
- C.J. Edwards thinks he knows when the Cubs will contend. He's saying 2-3 years. Join the conversation on BCB, C.J.!
- Jeff Samardzija thinks playing for the Cubs in Wrigleyville is dangerous.
- Patrick Mooney takes an inside look at the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka. Turns out, Cubs execs pretty much always expected Tanaka to be a Yankee. So there's a chance all that "we won't be outbid" rumoring was just that. Shocking, I tell you.
From Cubs Den
- I love this article. John Arguello talks about the myth of how the St. Louis Cardinals were built. He says you should understand how they got to where they are.
- The top 35 prospect countdown was delayed. But it continues here with numbers 10 through 6.
- And then finish it off with the top 5.
- Mike Olt congratulated former teammate George Springer on his promotion to the Astros.
- Maligned starters Edwin Jackson and Carlos Villanueva will each get another turn in the rotation, albeit in a different order.
- Wesley Wright was honored to participate again in honoring Jackie Robinson.
- (Audio) Alfonso Soriano talked about facing many old teammates.
- Columnist Howard Bryant talks about the causes of declining number of African Americans in baseball.
- Early trends on a number of lefty hitters, including Anthony Rizzo.
- Theo Epstein still likes the trade of Alfonso Soriano. Like elgato, among others, I'm less certain.
- Alfonso Soriano is happy to be playing for the present.
- Paul Sullivan says baseball needs to challenge its own inner Jackie Robinson.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- Gordo names four Cubs who could wear Yankees' uniforms.
- Former teammates were eager to talk to Alfonso Soriano.
- If you haven't seen the MTV commercials for "Off the Bat", consider yourself lucky. But this, well, very MTV show did feature Anthony Rizzo taking batting practice with meatballs. Yes. Meatballs. I did snicker at the complete lack of concern for leaving meatball remnants all over cars.
Today's food for thought