Well, that was a disappointing birthday.
From Comcast SportsNet
- Theo Epstein is thinking big. Here's a quote:
"Nothing related to losing ever gets easier," Epstein said. "Losing sucks. When losing stops sucking, you should probably find another career."
- Pedro Strop knows what Jose Veras is going through.
- Starlin Castro might be turning the corner.
- Wrigley Field beer prices don't compare very favorably to other MLB parks.
- In case you missed it, Bob Brenly returned to the Cubs' booth, if only for a short stint.
- Cake Boss gave the Cubs a giant cake.
- Anthony Rizzo is well versed in the history of the Wrigley Field batter's box. That history includes Babe Ruth.
From Cubs Den
- While many BCBers are pining for "MOR OLT!!!!", Cubs Den thinks Luis Valbuena needs to play somewhere.
- Tickets are on sale for Anthony Rizzo's charity event, "Cook-Off for Cancer."
- Ricky Renteria is making good on a promise to keep Starlin Castro more engaged.
- Wrigley's centennial stirred lots of memories.
- Luis Valbuena's ability to get on base gives the club another option at the top of the order.
- Amid the birthday bash, Wrigley is still waiting for the celebration that really matters.
- Uni Watch has its eyes on the Cubs' rewind efforts.
- Jim Caple rates Wrigley's good, bad, and ugly.
- Jose Veras is not giving in to his struggles.
- Jesse Rogers finds promise in the pitching prospects.
- One writer says the Cubs' best player is a pitcher. And it's not the one with the aquatic nickname.
- Jesse Roger's chat wrap took on the fairly usual assortment of questions. Meaning: lots o' Baez.
- Ricky Renteria is indeed finding moral victories.
- Sammy Sosa will have to mend some fences before he is welcome back at Wrigley Field.
- And the Cubs can't erase Sammy's impact.
- Shockingly, Bud Selig is siding with the Cubs' owners.
- (Video) Bears' legend Dick Butkus said playing at Wrigley "made you a pro."
From the Chicago Tribune
- (Video) Theo Epstein talks about the draft and losing.
- Speaking of the former, the Cubs will be looking for the best player available.
- Mike Olt is looking to earn more playing time.
- The Trib has done a nice job with the birthday coverage. Here's a link to all of it.
- Getting to "beautiful Wrigley Field" was an evolution.
- This is a cool visual time tour through changes for Wrigley and the neighborhood.
- The park's design gives Wrigley a firm sense of place.
From the Chicago Sun-Times
- While Wrigley Field parties, Theo Epstein is thinking about winning.
- You may already know that George Will wrote a new book about Wrigley Field. He visited The Colbert Report to talk about that book (video).
Today's food for thought
- These are the world's weirdest birds.
- The first known binary supermassive black hole in an ordinary galaxy has been found.