Let's go, Team U.S.A.
From Comcast SportsNet
- The future is now for Jake Arrieta.
- Anthony Rizzo is making his All-Star case.
- Some NBC actors invaded Wrigley for "Heroes Night" on Tuesday.
- Jeff Samardzija can't wait to pitch in big games. But he "wants to stay", right?
- Arismendy Alcantara is making a name for himself, even while surrounded by some higher profile prospects.
- The team has officially signed their third-round draft choice, catcher Mark Zagunis.
From Cubs Den
- The St. Louis Cardinals could help break a trade log jam the Cubs reportedly have with the Toronto Blue Jays. See if you follow that.
- Cubs Den forecasts some big league promotions.
- The club also signed their 9th- and 10th-round draft choices for far under slot value. A couple more "big names" could end up signing with that savings.
- Jake Arrieta didn't change his mindset during his bid for perfection.
- Rick Renteria thinks Shark should be an All-Star.
- While he's not a traditional fit, Starlin Castro has been thriving in the clean-up spot.
- Cincinnati Reds' first baseman Joey Votto thinks Anthony Rizzo has evolved into the total package.
- Manny Ramirez will join the Iowa Cubs later today.
- Dallas Beeler will make his big league debut for the Cubs on Saturday for the first game of the twin bill against the Nationals.
- Jake Arrieta is bracing for turnover in the rotation, as everyone expects the club will trade one or more starting pitchers.
- (Video) Anthony Rizzo talked about nerves while Arrieta flirted with perfection.
- (Video) Rizzo also talked about the growth he's seen from Starlin Castro.
- (Video) Rick Renteria talked about how much the pitchers like working with Chris Bosio.
- I don't link much to renovation articles, because I find the whole topic frustrating. So does Tom Ricketts, who is "looking forward to moving forward" with the renovations.
- The Cubs are inching toward a time when wins and losses will "actually matter."
- Kris Bryant is the story everyone is reading about. Even some of his future teammates.
- Joey Votto is raving about Anthony Rizzo. The two worked out together in the offseason.
- Gordo says the matter of whether Jeff Samardzija stays and signs an extension or is traded is really about Shark's loyalty to the players' union. You'll have to excuse me if I doubt this is the driving factor. This topic has the chance to get real political. Let's try not to go there. My doubt about this being his primary motivation comes from the mixed messaging. Shark has been quoted in various places about how much he wants to stay here. And how much he wants to pitch in big games. And how he's worried about when the Cubs will be a contender. I do believe you can weave all those interests together. But it's a tough sell. Shark wants to get paid like an ace. I don't really fault him for that - I'd love to be paid at the top levels of my profession, too. But let's not pretend like Shark's contract is a landmark for all future players.
From the Daily Herald
- In the big picture, Shark is getting the job done.
Today's food for thought
- A sea lion played with a little girl. Watch what happened when the little girl fell down.
- Emmy Noether is the most important mathematician you've (probably) never heard of.